dont want to lose buyer - fastest way of checking title on deeds

Monsoon

Hello
Please help.
In summary - What is the fastest way I can find out from Registry of Deeds, if Joint Names of Husband and Wife are on the title deeds of family home. Ive checked this morning online and land is definitely unregistered so its definitely registry of deeds. Deeds themselves are with solicitor (who lost them for a number of years then found them!)

Father deceased, mother finally found buyer for family home she cannot afford to keep. ready to close sale - all surveys done - everyone happy but now yesterday her solicitor says probate is needed as deeds are not in Joint Names despite advising 4 years ago at time of death that deeds were in Joint Names, finances in bank were low so Probate was not required, All funds released from bank etc, revenue return completed and I was advised by solicitor to inform them probate was not intended to be taken out. Will left everything to spouse - no complications with that.
Husband had a terminal illness and told family he had changed to joint names on title deeds - no mortgage due or anything on house

I don't know if the solicitor has made a mistake by misreading original deeds yesterday, or did not act to add the wifes name to deeds prior to fathers death. So I need some help to see whats the fastest way I can reliably look into this for her as she
definitely does not want to lose the sale - they were ready to close and move in within weeks! At the moment I don't have faith in information from solicitor so how can I quickly check what situation is - Solicitor is now looking for a couple of thousand minimum to do probate! but at the moment that's a bit secondary as priority is to try and save the sale - please advise? Should I try and find someone with an online account with landregistry - can this check be done online which might be quicker or do I get time off work and make an appointment to go in person- what information will I need - I think from the landreg website I will need some info from actual deeds which mean going back to solicitor again first. I am researching online but I need to act fast as solicitor is now writing to inform buyers probate is needed. Im not yet convinced that the deeds are not in Joint Names but need to move quickly to get proper information. I really would appreciate some help please if someone could steer me in the right direction.

Back