Don't understand AC/DC adaptors/transformers

khairabar

I am ignorant about the electrical terms AC,DC etc. All I know is that they mean alternating and direct current.

I have a small radio with an input socket marked "DC In 4.5v", which I would like to connect to the mains, but I don't know exactly what I need for this purpose. I do have a thing (not belonging to the radio) which LOOKS suitable in that it has a 3-pin plug at one end and a connector at the other end which fits exactly into the radio's input socket. However the thing is marked "AC Adaptor, Inut 230v 50Hz, Output AC 9v 1000mA", and I am reluctant to plug it in to the radio as it references "AC" rather than DC and 9v rather than 4.5v.

Can anyone advise if this would work or damage the radio and/or explain about adapters, transformers and what the output voltage means ?

Well, to start with 9v is twice the input the interns of what your radio is designed to handle. If ure lucky, nothing will happen, if ure not it may burn the guts of it.
As the dirty harry film goes ' do you feel lucky punk!'

It would not work (AC output) and more than lightly damage the radio (twice the voltage).

As the radio says you need a transformer with a 4.5 Volts DC (pref regulated) output and the correct connector to fit it. Bring the radio into a proper electrical/electronics supplier and get them to supply the transformer. Many generic transformers allow the voltage to be set, if you have kids etc who will play with the voltage switch get a transformer which just does 4.5 Volts or is hard to change.

To summarise :-
You dont really need to know the technical difference between AC and DC. They are different "types" of electrical current and they are not interchangable.

Mains is AC 230V, 50Hz.

Most small electrical items use a voltages <9v DC input, but some use AC.

An AC/DC mains transformer transforms mains voltage to a lower voltage and changes it to DC.

If you worked out already, your radio needs a transformer which outputs 4.5v DC, Anything else will not work, and is very likely destroy the radio.

Back