Donating electrical appliances to charity

Oscaresque

I know charity shops cannot take in electrical items but will SVDP or some similar charity group take them? I have some kitchen appliances that i do not need and are in good nick and am in Dublin.

Any suggestions appreciated.

There is a freebies site on Gumtree. I have often got rid of stuff that way. The East Europeans are great for taking electrical items and fixing any small fault.

The rule of thumb is that they don't take electrical appliances, but I have seen some in a few Vincents shop and they took my vaacum cleaner in the Neilstown shop, it was as you state yours are, in good nick. Many of the shops are low on floor space and can't facilitate furniture or larger items but others can. The Volunteers generally use their discretion about what is needed / sellable if you speak to them about it when you bring it in.

Oxfamhome on Francis Street in Dublin take electrical items and then get them tested by an electrician before they sell them.

It is a great shop have a look [broken link removed] for details

Your other option is to put an post up on Jumbletown.ie - if it is an electrical appliance in working order and you are in or near a big city, you are almost guaranteed to have a number of posters ready and willing to collect from you in 24 hours! It is a great site (no personal/professional link to it, just a satisfied user)

This may sound odd but I'm a little paranoid about having a stranger visit my house to view the items. I am more comfortable dropping them off somewhere. Does that seem odd? maybe.

I tried dropping some electrical stuff into Oxfam Home on Francis St. a few weeks ago, and they no longer accept electrical appliances.

Back