Domestic Well Water Testing

kkilkenny

I would like to have our well water tested, primarily as we live rural and want to make sure our water has not been contaminated by septic tank or farm waste etc.

I have found several sites that send you out kits to sample water and send back but prices range from 90 - 150 euro for various different levels of testing.

Can anyone recommend the tests i should be carrying out?

Hi, I've gone through this a while back when I got my water well pump upgraded & have a list of what was required to be tested. I have that list at home, so will get that together for you & send it on tonight.

Just to note, that if you are doing it for yourself only (not for local authority grant), then you can just send in water samples to them. Need to make sure you disinfect the tap that you take the water for the test. Usual cost is around €150+ (includes someone calling to your house to take the sample). Who ever you decide to go with, they will have their own requirements.

I found the doing this for a rural property best option is to approach the Council environment department. They do the test and will advise you on upgrades needed. I'd go with the approx 150Eur for testing.

Just remember if you do need to for an upgrade, filters or UV lighting the WHO standards are used for grant purposes so results of 0 are required to get the grant. This means that if you will need another test after the upgrade. We needed three tests before the zero was finally returned (in a quite rural location) but we were more than happy that we are 100% sure of our water now.

You must check with your local council to ensure that the test centre that test the water is registered with them and accepted by them. If you find an issue and you are applying for a grant for corrective works, you will have to re-test with a registered testing company. I know many people that got caught out in this way.

Also opt for the full test.

If you live in an older house, and away from a public water scheme or group water scheme then you may be entitled to an individual well grant to bring your water up to the EU drinking water standards. These grants are administered by the local authority.

Some local authorities sample and test the water at their own laboratory while many ask that the householder get the water tested at a registered laboratory.

As mentioned above if you wish to avail of the grant the water must be sampled and tested after any upgrade works by the same laboratory.

Regardless of any grants all well oweners should be testing their water once a year for bacteria and once every second year for general chemistry properties such as pH, nitrates etc. You should also check for metals (Iron, Manganese, Lead, Mercury, Arsenic every several years). If the results come in with an exceedance on any of the parameters then you should install some treatment to address the problem.

In my part of the country laboratories charge between €90-€110 for the basic bacteria and water chemistry and extra for the metals.

It is worth noting that if you well system and water is perfect then you wont be entitled to a grant as there would be no works neccessary.

aj

Hi,

It's a full Chemical & Bacteriological analysis test, covers:
Bacteriolgical test -
Total Bacteria count (over 24hrs,48hrs,72hrs)
Total Coliform
Faecal Coliform

Chemical:
Conductivity
pH
Total Dissolved Solids
Total Hardness (lime)
Total Alkalinity
Total Iron
Manganese
Nitrate (n03)

If you are going for a water grant, then there are restrictions regarding that, so check out your local county council. If you need to get your water tested, then the water sample taken must be taken by the water testing company (can't just hand them in some water sample yourself), but full details will be available from your council if you are going down that road.

Good luck with things...

I get mine done every couple of years at the local Teagasc office. they give you a sterile bottle and you drop in a sample of your well water and costs approx 40 Euro

Back