Dole and Childrens allowance - residents only I thought ?

B

billko

Can someone clear this up for me ! Why are we allowing people from other EU states who once worked here to pop over and back ( via budget airlines ) to sign on and claim the dole and/or childrens allowance when they don't actually live here anymore ? I'm pretty sure we could save ourselves a few million and have more accurate unemployment figures also !

They are not even bothering to fly in anymore - they are paying their friends a few € to sign for them!

No wonder we're the laughing stock!

Obviuosly any one from the EU is perfectly entitled to claim here and that's a good thing.
However, I can see your point. Any sort of fraud of the system should be reported so those who actually need the money get it.

We are not doing it (intentionaly) If the Dept Social & Family Affairs are not made aware of the situation or don't unearth it during regular checks there is nothing they can do about it.
If you know of any legitimate cases of Welfare Fraud by anyone regardless of their Citizenship or abode report it to the relevant authorities. It would take about the same amount of effort as posting to a forum.

We are not doing it (intentionaly) If the Dept Social & Family Affairs are not made aware of the situation or don't unearth it during regular checks there is nothing they can do about it.
If you know of any legitimate cases of Welfare Fraud by anyone regardless of their Citizenship or abode report it to the relevant authorities. It would take about the same amount of effort as posting to a forum.

From what I have heard it is widespread, The easiest way to get around this is to revert back to signing on weekly in the case of the dole and monthly in the case of the childrens allowance. I know it would overload the system but surely we can work out some efficient way of doing it. I am pretty sure if the passport info at the airports was cross referenced with the Social & Family Affairs database - the true extent of this abuse would become obvious very quickly.

From what I have heard it is widespread, The easiest way to get around this is to revert back to signing on weekly in the case of the dole and monthly in the case of the childrens allowance. I know it would overload the system but surely we can work out some efficient way of doing it. I am pretty sure if the passport info at the airports was cross referenced with the Social & Family Affairs database - the true extent of this abuse would become obvious very quickly.
I think one of the SW staff that post here said it went back to weekly collections at the post office last year instead of sirect bank transfer to try to combat this sort of fraud. I think it's worthy of investigation but I don't think this sort of fraud is as widespread as people might think. I believe that people living here commit the lion's share of social welfare fraud, be they irish or foreign born.

From what I have heard it is widespread, The easiest way to get around this is to revert back to signing on weekly in the case of the dole and monthly in the case of the childrens allowance.

You must sign on weekly for your dole since last July.

You must sign on weekly for your dole since last July.

I stand corrected !

Do you know if it has changed for the childrens allowance ? I think that was once every three months and paid directly into your account ?

One method of curtailing abuse would be to, issued social welfare cards with photos.

One method of curtailing abuse would be to, issued social welfare cards with photos.

Totally agree - maybe even biometric to combat those who have multiple id's and claim in different towns

I have spent 8 years paying PRSI in Ireland, became unemployed and moved to London. I attempted to claim unemployment benefit from the UK government while waiting for a new job and got £25 per week as I am married and had made no UK contributions.

I explained that I had made contributions in ROI but that made no difference. I phoned the DSW who told me I could not claim from overseas.

I had half a mind to fly back and make a claim myself. I must stress that I didn't though but the original question:

Why are we allowing people from other EU states who once worked here to pop over and back ( via budget airlines ) to sign on and claim the dole and/or childrens allowance when they don't actually live here anymore ?

If someone has paid into the Irish system, they move abroad and it goes against them in the country that they have not paid into, I would have sympathy for them flying back to claim in Ireland.

i know someone on Jobseeker Benefit who signs on once a month. Maybe it's different in different areas.

Not sure but that would tie in with the story I was told ( taxi driver that picked up a few guys from the airport - quick pitstop to sign on and then back to the airport again. He reckoned it was fairly common ! ??

If someone has paid into the Irish system said:
Maybe we are just too generous here ! ? Maybe we should be partly using a voucher system that is useless abroad ? similiar to one4all but can be used for ESB / Gas / Food stores etc etc

you don't need to sign on for Childrens allowance, it can be paid straight into your bank account

If foreign workers have paid their tax and PRSI in this country, why shouldn't they be able to sign on, don't recall we as a nation refusing to tax them because they were from another country

No arguement that there is probably some abuse of the system but there seems to be an awful lot of hearsay/yer man told me type of comments on this post. Anyone got some actual facts??

Not sure but that would tie in with the story I was told ( taxi driver that picked up a few guys from the airport - quick pitstop to sign on and then back to the airport again. He reckoned it was fairly common ! ??

It's amazing how "taxi drivers" always know so much about the income, taxation and social welfare affairs of foreigners. They have irrefutable evidence to back up their assertions, no doubt.

If foreign workers have paid their tax and PRSI in this country, why shouldn't they be able to sign on, don't recall we as a nation refusing to tax them because they were from another country

No arguement that there is probably some abuse of the system but there seems to be an awful lot of hearsay/yer man told me type of comments on this post. Anyone got some actual facts??[/quote]

No problem with anyone signing on as long as they still live in this country !

If it was just once I had heard it .. I wouldn't have posted here .. how exactly do you suppose I get facts ? Do I go and question someone that flys in and out the same day ?? - that's not my job !

That's funny, I was thinking earlier the post read like a conversation you may hear while in the back of a Taxi. They who are re-knowned for their tax compliance and recently it seems xenophobia.

Last edited:
There should be physical checks on the addresses that the letters are sent to....in order to ascertain whether they are actually still living there, otherwise, it is useless sending out letter for signature.

Back