Dogs soiling floor at night time

lab-rat

Hi
I wonder if anyone could help me.
I have two little puppies, well they are 9months old.
We have a problem training the dogs. I think we have to blame ourselves as maybe we needed to be tougher with them.
We rarely get through the night without them soiling the floor. I get up later then my partner so he has to deal with the mess. After dinner we let the dogs out to do their business, and then let them back in doors. Before we go to bed we let them out again and stay with them encouraging them to do something. Generally they will have a pee, but that is that. Does any one have any ideas on how to stop them soiling the floor?
The boyfriend said that that was the last time, they have to now sleep outside in their kennel. I feel bad about that , but the weather is improving and it is not as cold as it has been. Has anyone read the book It's Me or the Dog?

I bought that book for my husband when we introduced our boxer pup..it's gathering dust at the moment:) but from what I read, the pup should be "crated" at night..we haven't done this as we bring her out every hour or so until midnight and then we're up at 6.00 so more oftne than not she's had a "dry" night. I've also noticed that when she get's more excercise she generally sleeps better also..a bored pup will get up to all sorts at night!
A tip for last thing at night - although it's cold and all you and the pup want to do is go inside, wrap up and run /walk until you get what you're looking for..this can take 10-15mins but it will happen!

Good luck!

lab-rat,
I used an approach similar to gauloise's - I barracaded my dog into a space using 'walls' made out of huge cardboard boxes opened out, giving her a space of about two square meters (with newspaper down). If she had a couple of good nights, the space got bigger. If she had an accident, I made the space smaller again - dogs don't want to dirty where they eat/sleep. She caught on really quickly and was reliably trained within a short period of time. The only problem I had was when she kept wetting the floor in one particular area - so I (cleaned it obviously) and then put her food and water bowls there - hasn't had an accident since (about two and a half years).
You'll get there ;)

lab-rat said:
The boyfriend said that that was the last time, they have to now sleep outside in their kennel. I feel bad about that , but the weather is improving and it is not as cold as it has been.
Dogs are covered in hair for a reason!

I think that reason is to increase vacuum cleaner sales.....

Seriously though, it's worth sticking with as you'll end up with dogs that can reliably stay in your house (and other people's houses should the occasion arise) without soiling the floor.

Hmmm

The auld dag "soiling" the floor eh!

This may sound gruel, inhumane etc but have you tried shoving his face in it? An old trick me father thought me! Think about it if I shoved your face in it would you do it again?

Another auld wives tale is if you leave their bowl of water down where they've soiled or been soiling, they tend to stop.

Two 9 month old pup's, god love ya!

It'll be torture for another while but stick with it, they'll come good!

What breed?

>Another auld wives tale is if you leave their bowl of water down where >they've soiled or been soiling, they tend to stop.

I guess that would make me an auld wife so..... (but it does work!)

WillyPat said:
Hmmm

This may sound gruel, inhumane etc but have you tried shoving his face in it? An old trick me father thought me! Think about it if I shoved your face in it would you do it again?

Another auld wives tale is if you leave their bowl of water down where they've soiled or been soiling, they tend to stop.

What breed?

Is that you you were trained yourself Willypat?

Ha Ha apologies EEEEK!!

No Judybaby, but my dog was trained that way when he was a pup and never soiled the house after that!

It does work!

He is now a 7.5 stone Labrador, you can imagine the soil he'd leave after him now if he were still in the house!

WillyPat said:
Ha Ha apologies EEEEK!!

No Judybaby, but my dog was trained that way when he was a pup and never soiled the house after that!

It does work!

He is now a 7.5 stone Labrador, you can imagine the soil he'd leave after him now if he were still in the house!
Sorry Willypat, I actually did mean to say is that how you trained your dog? I have a bitch at home and I'm thinking I might try this with her. She is around 10 stone though so you can imagine what I have to put up with. Thanks for tip!

Hi Judybaby,

Is your bitch house-trained? She's hardly a 10 stone pup!

Just remember every dog knows there own ;)

WP

Judybaby,
before trying the approach of sticking your dog's nose in whatever, would you consider restricting its space first or using its water bowls to break the association with soiling indoors - at least then you don't have to go cleaning noses too...

WillyPat said:
Hmmm

What breed?
Thanks all for the advise. I am not into putting their face into their poo.
I will try limiting their space with the crate/cardboard. One of the pups have been peeing on her bed and I heardthat this is really unusual. I was told to feed her food in her bed to stop this. But I have to more consistant or I will get nowhere fast.
My Bfriend is definately alot tougher than me and they listen to him. I have started to toughen up but end up shouting at them, which I read does no good as they sense I am not in control.
My two girls are a cross between a Cairn terrier and an Austrailian silky.
Totally adorable. I better sort this problem out or they will be put out the back over night.

Don't bother shouting at them if you don't catch them in the act..they will not be able to associate your anger with an earlier mishap!
Are the 2 pups in the same bed at night? If yes then this could be contributing to the problem...hang in there..it does get easier..our pup is now 16 weeks and although we do still have the odd accident which more often than not is due to us not letting her out at regular intervals, she has made great progress and her place indoors is safe!

WillyPat said:
Hi Judybaby,

Is your bitch house-trained? She's hardly a 10 stone pup!

Just remember every dog knows there own ;)

WP

Willypat my 10 stone dog actually presents with a learning disabiliy. I believe that it is autism myself as she is quite aloof. She has always been like this but we can not bare to get rid off her.We let her poo whereever she wants really and then clean up.As a result our house bills in detergents etc are massive. But we love her dearly. She has lovely curly red hair and is quite a dote. She eats constantly though and sits on the counch for most of the day. I must do something about that really. Bring her to weight watchers maybe !!!! or put her on an exercise regime!
Thanks again for your lovely tip...it made me smile.Do you know anything about fish Willypat? My goldfish just had few babies and it actually ate one. ...awful i know ...help !:confused: I don't want her to eat anymore. Is this normal?

Judybaby,

How old is your dog? If she is 10 stone I believe she may be severly overweight, unless she's a fairly big dog such as a St. Bernard. You've failed to say what breed she was. If she is old it'll be tough to get her out of her old habits, a few flakes of a lenght of black pipe (the pipe farmers use) should get her off the couch.

As for the fish, I dont really know about Goldfish having babies but they must come from somewhere I suppose. My better half, Ms WillyPat, got me a tank and 15 tropical lads for christmas or was it my birthday, oh no still waiting for my birthday present, probably a ferret or something..... she has a thing for animals etc. Anyways all was going well until the level of water decreased slighty and willypat decides to top it up with water straight from the tap, low and behold the next morning they had mutated into something quite extraordinary........ joking just getting ye interested!
Nah what happened was 11 actually died, some were missing fins, eye's and the like so regretfully most met their maker down the porcelain highway....god love 'em.

The one's that survived (2 Guppy's & 2 Tetra's) are in flying form. Ive since used the proper mix of water and chemicals to take the bad stuff from the water, this certainly helped a great deal, so Ive panned none in a while.

But for tha last couple of weeks meself and Ms WillyPat noticed that one of the Guppy's was putting on loads of weight. We though she was just a fat b*tch but to our amazement she had about 6 babies. They were lovely little miniature's of their Mommy.

The thing was I had bought two fish in the city two days before, bigger than the Guppy's and Tetra's. Ms WillyPat didnt like the look of 'em but my motto is to give all life a chance! Anyway one of the new lads (couldnt tell ya what breed they were) panned in transit (Porcelain Highway job) but the other lad, much larger than any of the rest, with mad red eye's devoured the babies, well not all of the babies. Their own mother turned on 'em too, I actually saw her eat one of her own, the dirty fat b*tch!

You know something Judybaby, such is life I suppose.

They were gorgeous though and Ms WillyPat is fierce upset since. Of course I'm the worst in the world for introducing this "maneater", christ you'd swear he was a great white or something!

Hope this helps

That's because it is cruel and inhumane!

I often wonder when the attitude of some Irish people towards animals will come out of the stone ages.

A puppy has a tiny bladder and bowels, and will unfortunately have accidents - you get them to go at 9pm and then expect them to hold it in till the morning.

By 'shoving his face in it' as you so eloquently, and obviously expertly recommend, you are merely confusing the dog. It has no clue why soiling the floor is bad, and does not make the connection between the 'cause' of the punishment, i.e. his soiling, and the 'effect' - you so callously shoving his face in it.

Jaysus man, just because it worked for your da doesn't mean animal welfare thinking hasn't advanced just a tiny bit since then.

No, and I repeat no, animal behaviourist, trainer, handler, lover, welfare organisation etc. will ever, ever advocate your 'advice'.

Before trying WillyPat's 'advice' try some of the links on

Please remember that it takes time, patience, dedication, and understanding to train any animal.

Sherman said:
That's because it is cruel and inhumane!

I often wonder when the attitude of some Irish people towards animals will come out of the stone ages.

A puppy has a tiny bladder and bowels, and will unfortunately have accidents - you get them to go at 9pm and then expect them to hold it in till the morning.

By 'shoving his face in it' as you so eloquently, and obviously expertly recommend, you are merely confusing the dog. It has no clue why soiling the floor is bad, and does not make the connection between the 'cause' of the punishment, i.e. his soiling, and the 'effect' - you so callously shoving his face in it.

Jaysus man, just because it worked for your da doesn't mean animal welfare thinking hasn't advanced just a tiny bit since then.

No, and I repeat no, animal behaviourist, trainer, handler, lover, welfare organisation etc. will ever, ever advocate your 'advice'.

Before trying WillyPat's 'advice' try some of the links on

Please remember that it takes time, patience, dedication, and understanding to train any animal.

Poor Willypat...he wasn't recommending it...give him a break. He obviously didn't realise. He is from the country and country folk have unusual practices. No excuse for inhumane practices though i know....but let me be devil's advocate and ask when did a dog become a human? Enough bully's in this world beside internet ones too.

I have to second Sherman on that. Please do not ever stick a dog's nose in it. They simply have no idea what is going on.
I am amazed also at people who slap their dogs because they did not come when called, as if that will improve matters!
Just have patience and read some good advice. If you find you're getting nowhere, you might consider getting advice from a reputable trainer, like one of these:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/trainers_area.asp?area=Eire
We got help from Julie Holmes a while back and it was money well spent. (We have no connection with her other than the fact that we were happy with the service provided.)
Good luck.

Back