Doggy hair care - "clumps" for ears??

Betsy Og

Is it normal for a dog like a spaniel to have thick "clumps" of hair on their ears, the only remedial action at this stage is probably cutting them off and brushing the hair as it grows back.

Not doing any harm I suppose but dont look the best and tend to stay sopping wet after the rest of doggy has dried ages ago, so probably not overly comfortable.

Other thing, same dog (not ours) has a habit of scraping his head/collar off the base of the wall of our house, but there doesnt appear to be evidence of fleas (not sores or scabby patches)? Any theories?

I also have a spaniel and he had knots around his ears. He didn't mind them but I cut them off anyway as I was afraid that they would become somewhere for mites etc to make their home. Very hard to get close to the ear without nicking him.

Murt

No harm in cutting out....

Most "Hairy" dogs get these as it's the one place that they can't keep under control themselves. I keep them under control by using a fine metal comb to comb our shaggy dog. It requires regular attention to stop them developing. I find that this can be managed in our dog by doing this once a month.

Back