Does Virgin Media notify the public if they are down in an area?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Sunday morning, my broadband and phone were down.

I assumed it was a Virgin Media problem but is there anyway of knowing? Down for everyone or me.com had few reports.

I did check them on Twitter but their account is full of celebrity nonsense and no mention of the breakdown.

I found that a neighbour was also down, so I knew that it was their issue and not mine.

Brendan

If it's an outage, as opposed to planned works, no.

I usually keep an eye on boards.ie if the service provider has a forum. But it's usually a customer asking if there's a problem, never pro-actively posted by provider themselves.

No, Virgin don't notify people. You will see some updates on their Twitter page if it is in office hours.

Last time this happened I got an automated answer when I rang the number telling me that there was a problem in my area. So while they don't notify they do (or did on this occasion) at least have a response which saves you waiting and pressing buttons for a while. They had a fix time of about 4 hours which turned into 24 hours.

hfp

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

They should highlight it with its own page and and indicator of where there are currently problems.

Brendan

I use downtime detector regularly enough, it covers for all of my service providers in both work and home.

Downdetector relies on user reports or scraping data from services such as Twitter. As a result it's pretty spotty, and all the more so the more localised the issue.

I’ve had no broadband or land line siNCE 4 pm yesterday. Nothing on Twitter. Said yesterday “we hope to have this fixed by 9 pm”

Brendan

Back