Does vendor need to sign contracts in person?

Infoseeker00

Hi,

We finally signed contracts for house last Thursday (after 4 months of delays) and paid the rest of our 10% deposit. Our solicitor sent them to vendors solicitor the next day. I am wondering how long it typically takes for vendors solicitor to return signed documents? Also does the vendor have to sign these in the presence of their solicitor or can they be posted to them to sign? Or would it be normal for solicitor to sign on behalf of them? The reason I ask is that the vendor lives a couple of hours away and we had to wait for them to get time off work a couple of months ago when they had to come down to the house to resolve an issue. And I'm hoping we won't have to wait again for them to get down for signing. Hope I am making sense :)

If you've been at this for 4 months and you have a fair idea of the vendors form, then how likely is it that they're going to drop everything and drive several hours to their solicitor's office to sign contracts to get them back within 7 days?

It comes down to how keen both sides are, how badly they want it to happen and when?

On the mechanics:
How long? - piece of string.
Also does the vendor have to sign these in the presence of their solicitor or can they be posted to them to sign? - they can be posted but its an opportunity to sign all the closing paperwork so best if the vendors attend at the solicitors office.

Or would it be normal for solicitor to sign on behalf of them? - this would be unusual. Your vendors sound very casual - it sends off warning signals.

mf

You could, through your solicitor, put a time limit on them, but if you do, you must be prepared to walk if they fail to comply.

Back