Motor Does this policy cover?.......

F

fred000000

My childminder drives my 3 kids from school each day. If there is an accident will her policy still cover her and my kids? I pay her for the petrol she uses on top of her normal wages,she has a standard motor policy with Travellers insurance co. (through 123.ie).

It could be argued that she is using her vehicle for hire or reward and this use would only be covered by a commercial (non-standard) policy.

I too have a policy with travelers, If I was using my car for work related travel I would need to upgrade to a comercial policy. I suspect she would not be covered.

It depends what she has down as her occupation on the policy, and then what class of use she is allowed under the policy. If her policy noets her as a childminder, and her policy says she can use her vehicle in connection with her occupation then there shouldnt be a problem. But there is a lot of ifs and buts in there!

why not have her phone insurers/brokers to clarify. Many people drop other peoples children to school/gaa clubs/scout&guide troops etc and this is covered under all policies, provided it is not for hire and reward.

I don't think payment for petrol is hire and reward.

however, to be safe, phone to clarify.

... I don't think payment for petrol is hire and reward...
You are 100% correct of course and I should have qualified my first opinion.

OP states "My childminder drives my 3 kids from school each day.", therefore if the childminder's duties and responsibilities were documented they would read sometrhing like :

"1. Collect fred000000's three children from their school each day at 3:30pm and drive them to fred000000's home using your own car. fred000000 will pay €20 / week as a contribution to your petrol bill.

2. Give fred000000's children milk and biscuits and supervise them until fred000000 arrives home from work at 6:30 pm

3. ...

4. ...

fred000000 will pay you €x per week for the above work."

Driving the children from school in her own car is integral to the work expected of the childminder, is being done for hire / reward and therefore IMHO commercial insurance is required.

Back