Key Post Does the wife always get half the assets on divorce?

mf1

Copied from another thread where it was asserted that the wife gets half of the assets on separation/divorce

Best place to start is the legislation -

Section 20 of the Judicial Separation and Family Law Reform Act 1989 sets it out:

This is what a Court will do:

(2) As regards the exercise of the powers of the court under section 13 , 14 , 15 or 16 (a) or (b) of this Act in relation to a spouse, the court shall in particular have regard to the following matters—

(a) the income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the spouses has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;

(b) the financial needs, obligations and responsibilities which each of the spouses has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;

(c) the standard of living enjoyed by the family before proceedings were instituted or before the spouses separated, as the case may be;

(d) the age of each spouse, the duration of the marriage and the length of time the spouses lived together;

(e) any physical or mental disability of either spouse;

(f) the contributions which each of the spouses has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family, including the contribution made by each spouse to the income, earning capacity, property and financial resources of the other and any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family;

(g) the effect on the earning capacity of each spouse of the marital responsibilities assumed by each during the period when they lived together and, in particular, the degree to which the future earning capacity of a spouse is impaired by reason of having relinquished or foregone the opportunity of remunerative activity in order to look after the home or care for the family;

(h) any income or benefits to which either spouse is entitled by or under statute;

(i) the conduct of each of the spouses, if that conduct is such that in the opinion of the court it would in all the circumstances be repugnant to justice to disregard it;

(j) the accommodation needs of either spouse.

There's nothing like a full and frank exchange of views/expectations/understanding between parties before agreeing to tie the knot. It would save a lot of aggravation if parties understood the way the other was thinking - too often, I hear my clients saying "But I thought........" followed by "I get half of everything" followed by "I get the house".

Mind you, if people had that conversation, we might see the marriage rate plummeting!

mf

Hi mf

That is great. Thanks very much.

There doesn't seem to be any direct mention of the assets each brought to the marriage.

Let's take two extremes.

If Anne and Michael take out a mortgage to buy a house jointly. She stays at home and minds the kids. And they separate after 20 years, then I would expect that the assets would be split equally.

If Mary owns her own home worth €500k mortgage free and Paddy is renting when they get married. They have no children and they split up after a year with no assets other than the house. I presume that Paddy would not get half the house or any share in it.

Back