Does state contributory pension discriminate against early starters/ broken record?

I did the same. Received an envelope yesterday, saw the harp on it and immediately thought, "oh sugar, what have I done now!" - that says something terrible about me I'm sure but none of it's true, I promise. :)

I still haven't quite got to grips with it but did add up everything and came to a bit over 900 contributions in total. I know it's the averages that count but it still gave me a warm fuzzy feeling to have that many. Since I don't live in Ireland anymore, I'm not expecting a full pension anyway but it'd be nice to get something after paying in for years. Have to take a trip to the German pension advice place now and get the details added to the system here - from what I understand I won't get "credit" for what I've paid in in Ireland but I can use the number of contributions to satisfy minimum numbers of contributions here for various things.

With 900 contributions paid in Ireland it appears you may be entitled to a pension of 150.00pw. or more at age 66 depending on when you made those contributions.
Further information would help to get a more accurate reply

With 900 contributions paid in Ireland it appears you may be entitled to a pension of 150.00pw. or more at age 66 depending on when you made those contributions.
Further information would help to get a more accurate reply

Between 1991 and 2008. I have another nearly thirty years to go before hitting 66 though so I have plenty of time to figure it all out yet. :)

Just thinking about this a little more,
Does anyone know if it is possible to make contributions for past years of no employment/study or for years with the wrong sort of contribution (class J), in order to complete your record?

Hi Equal,
I had a look at student credits, and it says they can only be claimed once, and only for short term welfare payments (they don't say what they are). Would the state pension not be a long term pension?

I think there may be some confusion here regarding paid and credited contributions.
Student credits may be used to a help young person to qualify (who otherwise would not have sufficient paid contributions) for short-term payment such as jobseekers benefit.

djh seems to have paid contributions while a student which will now be taken into account for pension.

Back