Does Santa Claus Exist

My friend told me when I was just 7 that there was no Santa. I wanted a white locker from Santa and she told me she seen the Roches van delivering it when I was at school...Aswell as me being traumatised so was my Mother when I told her!

Strange present for a kid:confused:

I though my god-child was a little weird when all she wanted for Christmas when she was six was a toy ironing board and iron!!
Perhaps the problem with the Santa exists is that children are getting far too adult at an earlier age. Its been a slippery sliddy slope for years. i think what really enforced this for me was when they started selling seeing bra tops for seven year olds. But this combined with TV soaps/ certain films i think maybe makes children (some adults and teenagers too) see everything as being a little bit more dramatic nowaday - bit blown out of proportion. instead of Santa now existing its become - my parents have lied to me for my whole life. Sounds much more dramatic and a satisfying sob story if you ever want to appear on x factor.

I wanted a white locker trimmed in pink with a press and drawer to put beside my bed to put my stuff in away from my baby sister.

Why is that strange????

I wanted a white locker trimmed in pink with a press and drawer to put beside my bed to put my stuff in away from my baby sister.

Why is that strange????

its not strange at all - i wanted a hoover and pair of glasses one year so i could be like my mammy :)

My nephew is 10 next Tuesday and I was shocked recently when he pointed out a house to me and ask where was the chimney for Santa to climb down.
Now this kid would buy and sell you. He buys stuff on ebay and is pretty street savvy for a 10 year old so I guess I just assumed that he was aware of the non existance.

I also have a friend who is married now and in her 30s and she believed in Mr Claus until she was 14. Some kids today aren't even virgins at that age!

At a certain age, kids decide to keep believing. I know loads of kids that happily believe in Santa, when they are definitely old enough to have worked out from the evidence in front of their eyes that its a fabrication.

Long may childhood last.

I wanted the My little Pony stables when i was little and was gutted when Santa delivered the My Little Pont Nursery instead. What was worse was all my excited christmas beliefs dying when i realised that 'Santa's' handwriting was the same as my mum's. Worst christmas ever - wrong present and then finding out my mum was scamming me :(

I have a friend who's son of 11 still believing in Santa.

It turns out he didn't really believe but let on to because he was afraid he wouldn't get any presents if he didn't believe...

innocence at its best :)

I'll have an interesting dilemma in a few years time - my son is Irish/Spanish and they don't do presents on Xmas Day there - they wait for the Three-kings on the 6th Jan. Santa exists alright, but he's called St. Nicholas, doesn't wear red and has no sack - god forbid he'd come down a chimney.

The three kings look like Ali-baba, ride camels and magically pass by each house in the early hours of 6th when the gifts appear. worryingly, there is also a mini-christmas in mid-December when a substantial enough Xmas present appears for the child - a direct present from the parents.

Problem lies in the fact that we want to do time about for Xmas - one year here the other there.

The poor child could be very confused cos he has one set of cousins who'll be banging on about Santa, and the other lot who'll be waiting till the new year before they get their lot - calmed by substantial parental gift beforehand. He might also get smart, decide they all exist and end up with three sets of Xmas presents... I'm feeling financially challenged already.

Any hints from those with experience on bridging the cultural divide?

I wonder what the mind of a modern child, used to (over)hearing on radio and TV of child sex abusers, makes of the idea of a strange man, interested in children, who will get into their house/bedroom in the night and offer them toys :rolleyes:

I'll have an interesting dilemma in a few years time - my son is Irish/Spanish and they don't do presents on Xmas Day there - they wait for the Three-kings on the 6th Jan. Santa exists alright, but he's called St. Nicholas, doesn't wear red and has no sack - god forbid he'd come down a chimney.

The three kings look like Ali-baba, ride camels and magically pass by each house in the early hours of 6th when the gifts appear. worryingly, there is also a mini-christmas in mid-December when a substantial enough Xmas present appears for the child - a direct present from the parents.

Problem lies in the fact that we want to do time about for Xmas - one year here the other there.

The poor child could be very confused cos he has one set of cousins who'll be banging on about Santa, and the other lot who'll be waiting till the new year before they get their lot - calmed by substantial parental gift beforehand. He might also get smart, decide they all exist and end up with three sets of Xmas presents... I'm feeling financially challenged already.

I think he is going to believe that all exist. Maybe you need to explain that Santa is a little different in different countries, but that its all really the same Santa. Santa knows where you will be at Christmas and decides when to give him his present based on local custom. I reckon that once he is getting presents, he'll accept the explanation.

I thought the Marx brothers said there was no sanity clause :D

and re the two above posts. My daughter teaches in primary school. senior infants. very mixed class - last year something like 14 out of the 28 were not Irish. and a good few non Catholic. and at least one of these 'informed' the class that their parents said that Santa Clause didn't exist. which she thought was a pity as it sowed the seeds of doubt at a very young age in children who totally believed in Santa.

I would just say that Santa comes to kids in different countries on different days (I mean, how could he possibly get around ALL the countries in one night!) Refer to one asw Irish Christmas and one as Spanish Christmas.

Back