Does Santa Claus Exist

Conshine

A friend was confronted by her 10 year old and questioned on the existence of Santa.
She admitted to the kid that he does not exist.
The kid burst into tears and stormed off and wont talk to her folks, not through disappointment that she had just found out that Santa was not real, but because her parents had lied to her throughout her lifetime.
How do others play this one?
I have a 2 year old that will start finding out about the bearded one very soon.

(any under 21's reading this - He does actually exist, the parents above were just kidding)

i was gutted when I found out - not because he didnt exist, but because my parents had lied to me for so long. I didnt find out from them, I found out from a cousin, and then I had to pretend to believe rather than let them know cos they thought I still believed so we ALL ended up lying to each other!!!

Personally I think the initial answer to that question from the age of 8, 9 or 10 would be he exists for anyone who believes, which is not a lie. Kids that age are constantly discussing it amongst themselves and can come to the conclusion themselves eventually, so when they finally decide 'no' they are really just looking for clarification from the parent. Its all about how the many, many, many conversations on the subject are handled. You are just starting an amazing time with your child, enjoy the ride, the Santa thing is a big kick for parents almost as much as kids.

What about the times your parents told you that you have to be good, eat all your dinner etc, etc, etc otherwise he will not come on xmas eve.

Wife doesnt want to lie to the youngster, I thought it was a good thing, an idol for the kids etc.. that was until I heard about my friends child. Now am not so sure.

Well I've lovely memories of tip toeing downstairs quietly incase santa was still there and the excitment of it all. They'll get over the disappointment once they still get pressies, let kids be kids and enjoy the 8-10 years they have of santa. I'm 30 and still believe ;)

I think that as soon as they start asking questions and getting suspicious, kids should be told. To plead or argue with them at that stage could be later seen as compounding the deception.

Oh Lord, what sort of precocious ten year old won't talk to her parents because they lied to her for the first ten years of her life about Santa? For goodness sake, I can't believe you are even taking this seriously. No doubt she will have to go for therapy for the mental suffering her parents have caused her. Do you think it would be better for your two year old to never believe in the magic?

you have heard of one child who took the truth badly, but what about the thousands who enjoyed the magic. Also, finding out
the truth and being trusted by your parents to keep the secret for your younger siblings is part of growing up.

I do know some parents who told their kids from an early age, and had years of kids getting involved in rows with their friends about it, and in one case having to deal with an irate parent who was livid that their 5 year old was told in the schoolyard.

Obviously, if this is important to you, you have to go with your principles. I am just pointing out that you will have to live with the decision for years, so be clear that you really want to do this.

I definitely agree that Santa should be a big part of Christmas for children - most children guess at the truth long before they know it for a fact and are a little bit disapointed when its finally confirmed to them that there's no toy factory at the North Pole churning out the well known brand names that they see on tv ad's in the lead up to Xmas. (Funny how children never question the elves ability to replicate brand names)

Gillarosa's advice is well worth taking with how to approach 8-10 yr old who question things. You're answering with the truth but leaving the child space to still believe if they so wish.

Last year a very odd mother of one of the girls in my daughters class blurted out to her during a row just before Xmas "And you needn't think Santa'll be bringing you any presents either because he doesn't exist"

The girl came into class and told all her classmates who in turn went home and asked their parents. These girls were all 9-10 and their parents, like me, were hoping to get at least another year out of Santa - and we certainly weren't going to tell them in mid December. After several frantic phone calls between parents and the succesful lynching of the girl's mother the girls were told that Santa exists for those who believe in him. This was backed up by the teacher who was made aware of what happened. All the girls were happy with this and Santa duly arrived on Christmas morning

Yes of course he exists and if a parent cannot continue to keep the tradition going it is very sad. Santa has been coming to my house for 29 years now and will still come until I am gone. My kids (4 0f them) love it from the 29 and 26 year old who always come home to stay christmas eve down to the 12 year old who has the best imagination of any child I have ever known. When my kids have asked in the past I have said of course he is real..and if you dont believe he mightnt come. So they never asked again. Christmas is magic

birds & bees

a father sat down beside his 14 year old son and said...

"son its about time we had a chat about the birds & the bees"

the Son burst into tears crying "I don't want to hear it"

the father replied "son, it is just natuarl & part of life, it's nothing to be embarrased about"

the son (still sobbing) "listen Dad, when I was 5 you told me the Tooth Fairy isn't real, when I was 7 you told me the Easter Bunny was Made up, then when I was 11 you told me Santa was fake.......... & now your going to tell me that i S*x is a lie too, what do I have to live for?"

My friend told me when I was just 7 that there was no Santa. I wanted a white locker from Santa and she told me she seen the Roches van delivering it when I was at school...Aswell as me being traumatised so was my Mother when I told her!

My 10 year old nephew worked it out for himself and I think thats a better way to let them find out. He said that he knows Santa is not real because there is no way a fat man can get down a chimney!

I still believe in him though, I love Xmas Eve and Xmas morning and I'm 32...:D

He came to me til i left home because i had a younger sister and how could he leave her presents and leave me nothing.
That worked out well.

Back