Does part 4 tenancy start date reset when renewing fixed term lease?

drunat

Hi. In Sep 2016 I signed a 1y fixed term lease with my tenants. Obviously after 6 months the part 4 tenancy conditions kicked in and tenants are allowed to stay for 4 years. A year later in Sep 2017, we signed another fixed term lease. Does it mean that the start date for a part 4 tenancy reset to Sep 17 or does it remain at Sep 2016? Trying to figure out when the part 4 tenancy finishes - is it Sep 2020 or Sep 2021?
Thanks

The Part 4 tenancy runs alongside the fixed term tenancies.

In your case, it expires in September 2020 (3 years and six months from March 2017).

If you want out of letting as most landlords now seem to want then be sure not to miss your dates. Give your notice in good time or you'll end up being stuck as a landlord for another 6 years.

Give your notice in good time or you'll end up being stuck as a landlord for another 6 years.
Eh, no. An intention to sell a property or requiring it for personal or family use are valid grounds for terminating a Part 4 tenancy. No need to wait for the four/six years to expire.

Maybe not for long.
I would be be giving notice now in case that crazy legislation, that has so far gotten farther than anyone ever thought possible , actually gets passed.

Maybe not for long.
I would be be giving notice now in case that crazy legislation, that has so far gotten farther than anyone ever thought possible , actually gets passed.
Are you referring to Jan O'Sullivan's private members' bill?

There are certainly elements of that bill that may well be passed into law. However, the Minister is on the record as saying that he has been formally advised that the removal of the intention to sell ground for terminating a tenancy would be unconstitutional – it's not going to happen.

A...However, the Minister is on the record as saying that he has been formally advised that the removal of the intention to sell ground for terminating a tenancy would be unconstitutional – it's not going to happen.

I think the damage has been done. Be interesting to see the effect on the numbers of LL leaving the market.

Back