Does lastminute.com have power to take money from my account if I no longer want holiday booked for September?

RJ1988

I have a package holiday booked with lastminute.com to New York in September. I no longer want to go, as I have become unemployed due to Covid 19 and will not be able to save for a holiday now. I didn't expect to become unemployed when I made the booking.

I paid a deposit of 650 euros which I can live with not getting back. They say to cancel the booking I must pay a Cancellation fee, I was aware of this. However the cancellation fee they have quoted is the full price of the holiday minus deposit so 1959 euro.

I haven't gone through with the cancellation yet and if I don't they will automatically take the money in August using the debit card details they have for me. I probably shouldn't have done this but I explained it to my bank and they agreed to block the company from my account and gave me a new debit card.

I've since been told that this won't stop them and they will still be able to take the money from my account and can even take it from my savings account. Is this true or will the payment bounce if the money is not in my account?

If they can't get the money what measures will they take, are they likely to take me to court? Do travel sites really have this much power and do I not have any consumer rights if I change my mind?

I know it's likely I'll have to pay the money but personally I feel the 650 deposit they have is more than enough for them for a holiday I won't be going on.

I have time to figure out the right thing to do before August. I would appreciate any advice.

Back