Does illness benefit stop being paid at age 66.

Odea

Does illness benefit automatically stop being paid when a person reaches 66 years of age? If this person is not entitled to a state pension what happens? Thanks

Illness & Jobseeker Benefits Cease on reaching the age of 66. You then move into the state pension part of the welfare system, and depending on your PRSI record should apply for the relevant pension. If you were in receipt of illness benefit, your record of contributions are likely to be up to date. Check your PRSI Record on www.welfare.ie and follow the links. If you are not entitled to a contribuatory state pension,after checking your record, you can apply for a non-contribuatory State Pension. This is a means tested pension, so other income,assets, investments etc. will be taken into account when you are being assessed for the amount of this pension. Again request a copy of your PRSI Record.Citizens Information offices can help with what you may be entitled to apply for, by looking at your record. You Should apply at least 6 months in advance of due pension date, so as to have it on your 66th Birthday.

My wife has a mixture of paid contributions and credit contributions from about the year 2000 to the present. She has not worked prior to 2000. She will reach age 66 next year. Would approximately 18 years of mixed payments entitle her to a full contributory pension, part contributory pension, no pension at all.
I am just looking for a rough indication. Thanks

Thanks Trainspotter that's good information. So it seems that if a person is on illness benefit but does not qualify for a state pension they could end up with nothing from the state at 66 years of age and will have to rely on their own resources from there on out.
It seems that at 65 you qualify but at 66 you may not even though you are still ill.

Hi i'm on illness benefit for the last 2 years and its finished in april, the have sent me out invalidity pension form. I have epilepsy and its on going and still getting seizures. I am not receiving counseling and attending the psych doctor for depression and anxiety. What should I do as I can work at this present time

Back