Does expensive repair substantially lower selling price?

P

pleroy

We're trying to get our house ready to put on the market and just had the bad news that we need a new roof. We got a really good quote, we think, of 2,700 to do the job but we would have to borrow the money from relatives to do it and we're not fond of that idea. Will not having the roof replaced substantially lower the value of the house, like thousands more than spending the 2,700 or will it not be much in the difference. Right now there are no leaks or anything, but the tiles are ancient and crumbling (no daylight yet!)
Thanks in advance for any advice.

pleroy

I'm no expert but €2700 sounds like a really good deal if a good job is done.

If you don't get it done what will probably happen is a buyer will come up with a price of x amount which I reckon will be a lot higher than your figure, perhaps 5:10k, and say he's reducing your asking price by that amount.

Personally if at all possible I would get it done.....a new roof can make a property look really good and also easier to sell.

2700 is really good price for whole roof, obviously depending on the job and how big is the roof?

on the other hand you can do it when you get an offer for the house and the buyer will ask/do a comment about the roof

Thanks for the advice - we're getting quotes now!

Thanks for the advice - we're getting quotes now!

.............. we need a new roof. We got a really good quote, we think, of 2,700 to do the job ...........

Unless it's an outhouse or extension 2,700 is not for a new roof. You obviously mean the roof needs to be retiled or reslated. Note a man made roof slate costs over a euro each and a concrete tile would be less than that.

.............and just had the bad news that we need a new roof.............

Did this bad news came from a roofing company in a van with uk plates that just happened to be in your area? :)

Back