Does Credit Card Debt Die with Cardholder?

Olivetti

I was helping a relative (now herself dead) who was executor and sole benefactor of a will.

The deceased had two relatively small credit card debts - hundreds of euros in each case.

One of the big two banks, when informed of the death, agreed unsolicited to write off the balance. The other (hint ... the same one which recently pumped €1.1 billion into its pension pot) made no such offer, and has sent demands for payment. Given that the deceased received no statements during an illness, and was promised that no charges or interest would be levied, we have asked several times for a breakdown of the amount demanded, but have not had the courtesy of a response, just further demands.

A few days ago, a letter arrived to the executor's address from a firm of solicitors, saying the matter had been handed over to them, and seeking payment. I intended to reply, pointing out that we had previously sought a breakdown of the amount without success, and asking for same yet again. But given the lack of courtesy, I am tempted to tell them to get lost.

Legally does credit card debt die with the cardholder or can they pursue the estate in this way? As I outlined, the estate has been settled, without probate, and the funds paid out to a sole beneficiary (also the executor), who is now also dead. Does this change anything?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks amtc. Same in our case - BOI wrote it off and AIB are pursuing it.

Does anyone know the strict legal position? Given that the cardholder and the executor/beneficiary are both now dead, and the estate has been paid out, who can the bank chase for the debt now if I tell them to whistle for it?

Last edited:
Then they are on a hiding to nothing. There is no one left to chase and no money. They lose.

In Italy when someone dies living debts, any heir can ask for the "benefit of inventory", which means that they can calculate the value of inherited possessions against value of debt. If the value of debt is bigger than possessions any heir can reject any inheritance. I think the same would apply in Ireland under different definitions.

So - other words - "debts in general do not always die with the debtor"

Back