Does anyone know what a difference 8 penalty points makes to your insurance?

abbie

Does anyone know what a difference 8 penalty points makes to your insurance.

Re: Penalty Points

I think a call to your own insurance company may answer this for you?

They will hammer you, also when the points are gone, they will still ask if you ever had driving convictions, if you say no, they can say you lied on forms, and insurance is null an void.

Correct. But you do still have to declare them, on pain of having your cover rendered null and void - even though you may have paid the premiums. Every proposal form contains some sort of signed declaration to the effect that you have disclosed all relevant information, and usually a clause to the effect that if you are in any doubt as to whether information is relevant you must disclose it anyway.

As for what effect 8 points will have on the quote - that varies from insurer to insurer. Some ignore anything up to 4 or 5 points. Others (e.g. Hibernian) offer a discount if you're point-free. But I'd be surprised if 8 points didn't have some impact..(?)

DrMoriarty said:
Correct. But you do still have to declare them, on pain of having your cover rendered null and void - even though you may have paid the premiums. Every proposal form contains some sort of signed declaration to the effect that you have disclosed all relevant information, and usually a clause to the effect that if you are in any doubt as to whether information is relevant you must disclose it anyway.

This doesn't make sense to me. The penalty points you accumulate disappear after a time (3 years?) and therefore you don't need to tell an insurer that you used to have a load of points (pun intended) but then you sold your Boxster and bought a clapped out Mini so now you can't manage more then 60kph anyway. :)

DrMoriarty said:

As for what effect 8 points will have on the quote - that varies from insurer to insurer. Some ignore anything up to 4 or 5 points. Others (e.g. Hibernian) offer a discount if you're point-free. But I'd be surprised if 8 points didn't have some impact..(?)

most insurance companys don't give a discount for 0 points... afaik you are under no obligation to tell the others about it , unless a) they ask you b) its in the terms and conditions they you do....

@MonsieurBond - Obviously, I meant current/unexpired penalty points!

@jhegarty - Sorry, Hibernian do give a 10% discount, but perhaps they're the only insurers to do so...

You're under no obligation to make the disclosure, but - depending on the precise wording of the relevant proposal form - you could be setting yourself up for a rejection of liability by the insurer, down the road.

Also, I believe the insurance companies have access to a national database of penalty points. Whether or not they routinely avail of that access in assessing incoming proposals, I've no idea.

DrMoriarty said:
@jhegarty - Sorry, Hibernian do give a 10% discount, but perhaps they're the only insurers to do so...

yes , Hibernian do ... thats why I said "most"

hib give 17.5% for the number of points donna and joseph should have got. (and yomee to for that matter)

points are generally ignored in loading terms for the first offense unless the offense was really excessive speed when the amout of points issued will reflwect the seriousness and therefore will flag in the software....
But do tell if asked....insurers will avoid paying if they have to....honesty best policy and all that

Have been trying to download the list of PP offences from http://www.penaltypoints.ie/ but the message "Could not find acrobat external window handler" pops up. How do I install this?

Re: Penalty points

Do you have Acrobat Reader installed? If not then download it from the Adobe website and install it. If you already have Acrobat Reader installed then it should just work automatically with your browser. If it does not then try right clicking on the link and choosing Save Link As... to save it to your hard disk and then open it separately by double clicking on it in Windows Explorer.

Q. Are there any changes to the way the penalty points system is administered?
From the 3rd April 2006 the way the penalty points system is administered changes significantly. Most notably the Garda fixed charge payment system will be computerised and the Garda pulse system linked to the courts for the roll out of the extended penalty points system. This will undoubtedly enhance the efficiency of the system and hopefully its effectiveness in acting as a serious deterrent for drivers. Up to now the system has been administered on a manual basis.

This I did not know, from http://www.penaltypoints.ie/ FAQ

What does 'Failure to turn left when entering a roundabout' mean in the list of new offences??

Ah, of course! Although if someone were to do that, they could do with more than penalty points!

I suppose it could also be someone going straight over those flattish roundabouts you see in some housing estates.

I have had insurance renewals sent to me every year since the point system came in, and I just go and pay my insurance. But I have never been asked if I have points?

Back