Does a landlord really need contents insurance

• Thread starter PennyFoolish
  • Start date
P

PennyFoolish

It's that time of year again, and I've been ringing around getting a few quotes for house insurance.

According to one company, insurance for a rental property automatically includes property owners liability, but they advised that I also need contents insurance to cover any accident involving my contents. eg, if a tenant injures themselves tripping over a coffe table supplied by me. Is this really necessary? I would have thought the property owners liability should cover all this.

I hate this time of year :rolleyes:

PennyFoolish said:
It's that time of year again, and I've been ringing around getting a few quotes for house insurance.

According to one company, insurance for a rental property automatically includes property owners liability, but they advised that I also need contents insurance to cover any accident involving my contents. eg, if a tenant injures themselves tripping over a coffe table supplied by me. Is this really necessary? I would have thought the property owners liability should cover all this.

I hate this time of year :rolleyes:

Yes my understanding is that public liability insurence covers tenant injures themselves tripping over a coffe table

The contents is seperate and I have gone for 0 contents insurances I have advised the tennants of this .
.... the policy is with 123.ie. The insurance was design for rental property.

I just check their website and they don't seem to do it anymore ??? I wonder why?

Athough when I was shopping around as one always does .. I got a character from one company giving me the same story. I need the contents of the house insured just in case the 10year old coffee table got the worse of the bang !

PennyFoolish said:
But they advised that I also need contents insurance to cover any accident involving my contents. eg, if a tenant injures themselves tripping over a coffe table supplied by me. Is this really necessary? I would have thought the property owners liability should cover all this.
Are they saying that this 'contents' insurance will cover the cost of the tenants hospital bills or the cost of replacing the coffee table. My understanding was that contents insurance would only ever cover the cost of replacing the contents, not any accident resulting from those contents. I think someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Yes, they seemed to be saying that I needed to have the contents insured in case the tenant sued me for tripping over the coffee table. It didn't sound right to me either RainyDay - especially since none of the other insurance companies mentioned it to me when I was getting quotes.

Zardebt, I knew I had got an online quote for insurance on a rental property last year. I was going bonkers trying to remember which company it was. Thanks for putting me out of my misery ;)

i find Bank of ireland quiet cheap for rental insurance this year I took out contents insurance even though house is rented unfurnished but has carpets timber flooring etc probably a waste of money it cost €80 extra

Back