Doctors practice closing down - wants €300 for our medical file

Thanks Leo and others, I know your post says they're not entitled to charge for the service but it also gives them a type of get out clause in allowing to charge for significant overheads. Whatever, i've booked to meet her this afternoon and will have my facts with me, although I don't want to get confrontational with an unwell person who has seen me through tough times and good times. Then again she's been well paid over the years. I don't mind paying €10/20 for them but the €300 is not only excessive it actually hurt my wife and I as we have great respect for the Dr and never expected a charge like this at the end of her days practicing. I'll wait and see.

You don't have to be confrontational but remember the records belong to you. The legislation is 100% on your side and sick or not, she doesn't have the legal or the ethical right to charge 300 euro for your records. I still think it must be some sort of mis-understanding...

The significant overheads argument won't hold up in a single office environment, they're just to cover the likes of multi-nationals who have distributed record-keeping systems where extensive time will be required to pull the data together.

Last edited:
At a push it will be just over €6 per file. Don't offer anything above that. I have received gp files, hospital files from 2 separate hospitals I have attended and have only paid €10 to the gp receptionist, which I now realise was an overcharge due to a new staff member. Do not let this woman fob you off.

Mission sort of accomplished. The Dr was not available today as she herself had an appointment and I would be seen by a locum if that suited, this was declined. I explained our problem to the secretary and found we were not the first patients to do so. The practice was just following protocol in the profession was the response, but they were exercising discretion in some cases and, lordy lordy, I am now one of those cases. "Who was my new Dr" I was asked and given some time all my files/records will be transferred/forwarded to same. Charge for same? Zero, and an apology if it caused any distress. I was going to say a few words, etc, but have learned over the years that a win is a win and saying anything to a secretary was not the right way to go in any case. Asked how the Dr was and forgetfulness, alzheimer's, etc, is part of her diagnosis. I wish her well.

Interesting.

I would agree with you that there is nothing to be gained from saying anything to admin staff in these circumstances, but someone in authority in the practice made this decision and some patients may have paid without realising that they didn't have to and that's really unfair.

As for "following protocol in the profession", that is rubbish. I would be inclined to write to the Medical Council to state that this protocol , if it exists is illegal and unfair and ask if the Medical Council think that it should be acceptable.

huskerdu,
I do understand what you're saying but she has enough problems. Lots of professions have this understanding that you go with the flow regarding charges like this, etc. No, i've no intention of reporting this Dr or her practice even though i've no doubt there's people who paid up. Changes are happening where once customers never queried costs, might be slow in getting there but as people get confidence they'll question everything, as they should and the professions, etc, are becoming very aware of this. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Thanks again to people who helped me with good advice and data. I'm finished commenting on it now but hope it has made people aware.

Back