Doctors Differ

onq

I'm not sure that it is acceptable to post this here, but in my opinion this is relevant to the issues of --
  • professional accountability
  • the benefits of qualification and registration and
  • the giving of assurances assurances to the public,
The Irish Medical Council has had a professional conduct review committee in place for many years.
However the quality of assurance it gives to the public by this reported review below leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

This tragic, avoidable occurrence shows that qualification and registration do not ensure competence in the professions.
It also shows that even in a profession with an independent oversight administration, serious errors can still occur.
But the appropriateness of the censure imposed or the measures taken to prevent a re-occurrence is unclear.
The Medical Council's actions and the undertakings they requested fall far short of giving me any assurance.

===================================

From the Irish Times online @ [broken link removed]

The Irish Times - Saturday, September 4, 2010

Doctors cleared as inquiry into wrong kidney's removal ends
Related

* Doctors cleared of misconduct in kidney mix-up case | 04/09/2010

In this section »

* Mother got to hospital with multi-organ dysfunction
* Tánaiste plays down row over halt to EU funds for Fás
* Blair says stretching truth for greater good is common sense

EITHNE DONNELLAN Health Correspondent

AN INQUIRY into the fitness to practise of two doctors following the removal of a wrong kidney from a child at Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children in Crumlin, Dublin, has ended dramatically.

A fitness to practice committee of the medical council, which was yesterday hearing allegations of professional misconduct against Prof Martin Corbally and junior doctor Sri Paran, adjourned for lunch for half an hour but did not sit in public again for more than two hours. When it did its chairman Dr John Monaghan indicated the case against the doctors was effectively over, even though another witness was due to be called and closing submissions had not been made by all sides.

Dr Monaghan said the committee had decided to invoke Section 67 of the Medical Practitioners Act 2007 under which undertakings could be given by the doctors not to repeat the conduct complained of and no finding of professional misconduct would be made against them.

Patrick Leonard, barrister for the medical council’s chief executive officer, objected, saying it would be “very unusual” to invoke Section 67 at such a late stage in a serious case which was “calling out for” the imposition of sanctions.

But Kevin Cross, legal adviser to the fitness to practise committee, said it was open to the committee to hear the bulk of the evidence before taking this step.

Dr Monaghan said the committee was not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the conduct complained of amounted to professional misconduct. There were “a series of catastrophic errors” in the case “but we were not satisfied these represented a malicious intention or that the category of professional misconduct was an appropriate way to deal with this tragic outcome,” he said.

The case centred on the wrongful removal of a healthy kidney from a now eight-year-old boy in March 2008, leaving him with a right kidney with 9 per cent functionality. Evidence was given that the boys’ parents asked hospital staff on at least four occasions to double check which kidney was to be removed before he was brought to theatre.

Prof Corbally and Dr Paran each gave three undertakings to the fitness to practise committee before the case halted – not to undertake surgery again without reviewing X-rays, not to delegate work to other doctors without ensuring they were prepared and trained, and to prepare a joint written guide for the medical council within 12 months on the lessons learned from this case.

As the case ended the boy’s parents stressed lessons had to be learned but the two doctors did not comment. This is understood to be one of the first times Section 67 has been invoked.

===================================

Let's review the first two undertakings; -
  • not to undertake surgery again without reviewing X-rays
  • not to delegate work to other doctors without ensuring they were prepared and trained
People undergoing surgery cannot be reassured by the two first undertakings, or rather, the fact that they had to be required - surely these are existing guidelines?
Or the fact that these undertaking were all that was apparently requried of the medical practitioners involved, amounting to "I promise I won't do it again".

But the third undertaking takes the biscuit.
  • prepare a joint written guide for the medical council within 12 months on the lessons learned from this case.
The people who should be setting the rules seem to be asking the people who failed to act properly to write a guide - to ensure others act properly!
And why isn't this "guide" being requested by Monday morning at the latest - are the implications of “a series of catastrophic errors” not clear?
In fact, why is this guide being requrested going forward at all - have the substantive facts of the case not lain bare and uncontested for two years?

One isolated error can be traced to an individual and dealt with - the present case indicates there may be systemic system failure.
How could the HSE be operating a system where possibly unprepared, untrained people undertake operations without looking at x-rays?

How appropriate is this strategy for a Committee ajudicating on people who wield the power of life and death over others?
And remember, this occured in a Profession where people spend years obtaining their qualification - up to 15 years.
The distraught parents of the boy had the strength to look beyond to the lessons learnt but not the consultants - to judge by their lack of comment.

ONQ.

Good post ONQ. Am in daily contact workwise with IMC. The haughtiness of some of their bigwigs is astounding. Egos, petty squabbling, sense of entitlements are all pervasive. Some great people too but there is a lot of dead wood in there.

This post is the edited version of a slightly longer one posted on archiseek.com - I made both posts.
I didn't want to abuse this boards facilities by including a third party organization in what is really a comment on how the IMC police the profession.
As for your comments "Egos, petty squabbling, sense of entitlements..." that sounds just like my profession on any day of the week ;-)

ONQ.

As shocking as the circumstances of this case were, the outcome of the Medical Council investigation beggars belief. If ever there was a shred of evidence that the medical profession in this country and consultants in particular, operate in a protected bubble, this is it. Surely the first two "undertakings" are fundamental necessisties in terms of surgical procedure? In most lines of work such monumental failings would be more severly punished.

I was seven years old.

"No! It's my left eye" - as they attempted to cut off my right eyelash. They listened and checked.

It was my left eye.

Human error! I was even shocked as a seven year old.

Marion

I was seven years old.

"No! It's my left eye" - as they attempted to cut off my right eyelash. They listened and checked.

It was my left eye.

Human error! I was even shocked as a seven year old.

Marion

Sharp even at 7 :) Weren't you lucky it wasn't one of your kidneys like that poor child.

Remember in ER when one of the docs had to get his arm amputated, he wrote 'Not this one, stupid' on the good arm. I am amazed that a surgeon who is about to remove an organ can make such a fundamental mistake.

He should be highly censured, not let away with "I'm sorry, I won't do it again"!

Yes Sueellen, I was lucky it wasn't a good kidney.

But I have often wondered what the eye surgeon would have done to my good eye during the operation if I hadn't been so vocal during the pre op.

Marion

As shocking as the circumstances of this case were, the outcome of the Medical Council investigation beggars belief. If ever there was a shred of evidence that the medical profession in this country and consultants in particular, operate in a protected bubble, this is it. Surely the first two "undertakings" are fundamental necessisties in terms of surgical procedure? In most lines of work such monumental failings would be more severly punished.
(nods)

That's my take on this too.

I have to state for the record that I have been very happy at all times in the standard of care received from the medicla profession, as have my wife and my son, my dad and mum [now deacesed] amd both my in-laws.

I have no personal axe to grind IOW.

But the inanity of the outcome of this inquiry annoyed me so much I had to write about it.

ONQ.

The Crumlin Hospital case clearly showed the fundamentally flawed structures within medicine. This profession operates on an autocratic basis and bullying is commonplace. Junior doctors are on six-month contracts, and depend on the goodwill and references of senior consultants for their next contract. This means that junior doctors are reluctant/unwilling/unable to stand up to consultants on these life and death decisions.

We need to change these structures by putting junior doctors on ongoing contracts urgently, to eliminate this inappropriate power of consultants.

(nods)

That's my take on this too.

I have to state for the record that I have been very happy at all times in the standard of care received from the medicla profession, as have my wife and my son, my dad and mum [now deacesed] amd both my in-laws................

ONQ.

Wish I could say the same.

There are a few very bad apples out there.

Pity that thats all it takes to ruin the system

Olddog

( P.S. Complainer is correct )

The Crumlin Hospital case clearly showed the fundamentally flawed structures within medicine. This profession operates on an autocratic basis and bullying is commonplace. Junior doctors are on six-month contracts, and depend on the goodwill and references of senior consultants for their next contract. This means that junior doctors are reluctant/unwilling/unable to stand up to consultants on these life and death decisions.

We need to change these structures by putting junior doctors on ongoing contracts urgently, to eliminate this inappropriate power of consultants.

Why do you think this eliminates a systemic problem of what seems to verge on gross incompetence by both parties involved.
As has been said, the faults were at a pretty basic level, such as ensuring that x-rays were looked at and people undertaking operations are trained.
I dont think it will matter if somone is now on a contract , he'll still need the references and he'll still have come through the alleged bullying system you mention - he'll be conditioned to defer.

I think that bullying or contracts may not be the issue here - the underlying issue may be "seniority".
This is something that is big in the professions and seldom seen outside them in my experience.
Its not just about the references, its about showing respect to your seniors in the profession.

I once asked for a second opinion from a Junior Barrister on a lease.
He knew it was a second opinion and offered advice freely right up until the time I told him the original was from a senor counsel.
Wouldn't touch it after that, although he gave me all the advice I needed to undertake my own research and take a meeting with the original Opinion giver.

So I think there is a revamp of how the professions needed that has to respect how they already work, or we'll throw the baby out with the bathwater.
We need to preserve the good we have while taking all the professions to the next level of accountability and responsibility and fitness to practice..
We need watchmen to look after all our interests while not unduly restricting our quality of life, abilities and freedoms.

ONQ.

Back