Do you complain about bad food?

Years ago in London my father complained in a greek restaurant that the food was cold. The staff took the food back and he was brought another portion by none other than the chef who berated him in front of the other diners.

Next day he was extremely unwell and spent the remainder of the weekend in the loo. He's convinced that the chef slipped something into the second meal to teach him a lesson for complaining.

After hearing that story I'll never complain about anything, EVER, in a restaurant. I simply will never darken their door again.

By the way my old man has worked in over 90 contries on every continent so he's not someone who is normally the hysterical type about what arrives on his plate!

Last edited:
It is a worry that something unpleasant will be done to a meal if it is sent back. One would hope that it wouldn't happen, but most people know someone who know someone who had a bad experience. Urban legend or real story? Who knows...

It is a worry that something unpleasant will be done to a meal if it is sent back. One would hope that it wouldn't happen, but most people know someone who know someone who had a bad experience. Urban legend or real story? Who knows...

I have worked in 2 different restaurants (not in this country but Im sure its the same everywhere) and believe me, you wouldnt want to know what happens the food in some cases even when you havent complained!!!

I have worked in 2 different restaurants (not in this country but Im sure its the same everywhere) and believe me, you wouldnt want to know what happens the food in some cases even when you havent complained!!!

Most definitely real story in my experience.

In the case of a complaint, I would absolutely never accept an alternative/replacement meal.

That's what I was afraid of. So how would you make your feelings known if you go out for a meal, it's badly cooked or over-cooked or otherwise disappointing?

Yeh, Ive had poor quality food in resteraunts and to be honest im not worried about complaining or demanding quality . . But . . . .

In resteraunts where you cant actually see the chef cooking the food there is always that nagging question as to what they have "added" for the personal touch.

Years ago in London my father complained in a greek restaurant that the food was cold. The staff took the food back and he was brought another portion by none other than the chef who berated him in front of the other diners.

Next day he was extremely unwell and spent the remainder of the weekend in the loo. He's convinced that the chef slipped something into the second meal to teach him a lesson for complaining.

After hearing that story I'll never complain about anything, EVER, in a restaurant. I simply will never darken their door again.

By the way my old man has worked in over 90 contries on every continent so he's not someone who is normally the hysterical type about what arrives on his plate!

Now this is another story altogether. This case it require a stool sample, a visit to your Dr. with details about where you had eaten, then the Inspectors will call and the Chef may learn a thing or two about how to behave with his Customers.

Most definitely real story in my experience.

In the case of a complaint, I would absolutely never accept an alternative/replacement meal.

Definitely the safer option if it doesn't cause too much inconvenience.

I emailed a complaint about bad take-away to the head office (Irish company selling Indian food around Dublin) and got a very nice reply within hours with the promise of vouchers for the full amount spent.

Back