Do we have to pay VRT on car from UK brought into ireland

M

MBPAT

My husband lost his job in Ireland in June and now works in London and returns home at weekends. We decided to buy a car in UK and bring it back to ireland. Checked at time that we wouldnt have to pay VRT now that car is here and tried to register we are being told it must be paid. Is this correct our inital information from Tax office was that we would be exempt. Can anyone advise further. We own car for over six months.

I think the confusion has arisen because you can import a car you have owned for 6 months or longer into Ireland with a VRT exemption if you are moving your permanent residence from the UK to Ireland. You have to prove to the Revenue that you are actually moving, we had to show solicitors letters and property particulars about the house we sold in the UK when we moved over here.

Apart from that I dont think you can get away with not paying the VRT if your main residence is in the Republic. Unfortunately.

yes you must pay vrt if you are a resident in ireland i looked into this myself for my car but came to a dead end and had to pay the vrt in the end,

Thanks so much for your help. Very much appreciated. Well now we know!!!! Best get the check book out X

Back