Do staples invalidate a will?

TheBlueNile

Hi Folks

I’ve been reading contradicting articles on line around if a will has staples in it it can be deemed invalid, I’ve just noticed in a will which i am an executor, has three staples in it, the will in total is three pages, now I should note they are the original staples and no other staple holes, surely solicitor would not have put staples in the will if that could make it invalid but again im reading contradicting reports.

Thanks folks

The probate office used to advise solicitors at one stage not to staple wills, then they said it was better to staple them. Worst case is that you might have to submit an affidavit of attesting witness, not a big deal. The best practice now is to use brass eyelets and also number the pages 1 of 3, 2 of 3, etc. However what is done is done now, and may well have been correct when it was done.

Thanks very much for your replies, its the original will and pages are numbered, yes I had read online some articles saying staples are way to go but to never remove the staples but then some saying the will should never be stapled

Back