Do RTE have a dress code and presentation standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the late late toy show on Friday night, according to Dustin that's the only show tubridy can do well, it's the other 35 shows that are the problem. His dress sense is terrible, drab blue suits the whole time now, it's like they are deliberately dressing him down to fit in with the whole sombre covid theme they have adopted. Obviously they not do it with Sharon Ni bheolain who as was pointed out is in her Abba tribute band. :)

She looks like one of Charlie"s Angles for a long time now though. Did anyone happen to hear the news at all :rolleyes: with all this distraction ?
And that's before we get to her pronouncing 'water' differently within the same sentence, i.e. Irish Waw-sher announced today they would begin charging for waw-der. Even if you close your eyes you have to listen to that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My pet hates (apart from SNiB) are awful pronounciations on Irish tv & radio e.g. Bored Gosh (Bord Gais) and the Dawl (Dàil).

My pet hates (apart from SNiB) are awful pronounciations on Irish tv & radio e.g. Bored Gosh (Bord Gais) and the Dawl (Dàil).
Mine is what they say "Government" instead of "the Government". Government refers to the generality of government as an institution or concept. When using the word as a noun to refer to a specific government then it is "The Government".
I first noticed it when The Comrades started referring to the ICTU as "Congress" and the Government as "Government", e.g. "Congress will engage with Government to resolve the issue". The "My Members" in RTE quickly followed the lead of their Union bosses.
The Yanks have been doing it for years with "June eleven" rather that "June the eleventh". I know it's just an evolution of language but I don't like it.

I know it's just an evolution of language but I don't like it.
That's a great title for a thread. Has anyone else noticed the virtual disappearance of 'probably' and 'affect' and their replacement with 'likely' and 'impact'? Instead of "it will probably affect him", now it's "it will likely impact him". Americanisms - no doubt internet related - really grind my gears! :mad:

I see the Den is back on RTE with Ray Darcy, Zig and Zag and Dustin. I was thinking that maybe it would not work and would be just regurgitating the old format but its actually brilliant, its actually exactly what is needed now. Ray Darcy is like he is a 20 year old again and is still able to do it convincingly, Dustin is Dustin and is not afraid to joke about the RTE party telling Dermot Bannon to stay away, "dont want to get RTE in more trouble". I think the Dustin and Zig and Zag performers who are brothers only agreed to return on condition that it went out live so RTE could not edit out the ad hoc jokes and jibes,

RTE finally found something that he, Ray, is actually good at .......after all these years. This is about his level. Dustin was always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back