Do KBC and Ulster customers need to switch their credit cards now or can they wait?

tnegun

Am I glad I read this thread, I've 2 months to wait for an appointment to open a joint account in my local AIB branch as there's both an Ulster and KBC branch in the town! Do I need to switch credit card provider from KBC too?

Good question.

The most urgent thing is to get a new current account with another bank. It would be hard to function without a current account.

If you have a current account, you will have a debit card with it.

So the credit card is less urgent.

I have not used my credit card for some time - I think it was for car hire two years ago.

So how indispensable is a credit card?

Thanks for linking to that thread Brendan, I had some misconceptions about chargeback and purchase protection which is one of the reasons I use the cc for almost all purchases but clear it monthly. The second is the quick access to emergency credit that I've used a few times over the last few years. The current account will be the priority but I'll start looking at my options the KBC €10 back per month on the cc covered the levy was a nice little bonus and also covered any fx charges.

From a convenience perspective I would switch card now and move over to using the new one, I've done this a month or so now and am waiting to 'close' the Ulsterbank Credit Card, currently refunds for some older purchases tend to go back on the original card (Amazon Tax Refunds, Insurance Refunds, etc), so I want to ensure these remain seamless and peter out prior to fully closing the old card. Also it gives time to monitor your old card for any pre-approved billing which would need to be moved.

I use my credit card a fair bit to avail of the 1% cash back where it’s beneficial and I use it for all my online purchases. Will look into moving but I’d probably go with Avantcard

I use my credit card a fair bit to avail of the 1% cash back where it’s beneficial and I use it for all my online purchases. Will look into moving but I’d probably go with Avantcard
I do to, actually use it more like a debit card & it's always paid off. Had a credit card for 25+ years (never paid interest & have a high limit) and applied for a Avant one as my UB will be useless soon. First time ever I've been turned down for a credit card!! In the process of moving to BOI as it's pretty easy to set everything up online, so CC will hopefully with them too!

Am currently with KBC and now have an Avantcard on the way so will be closing the KC CC soon. Has anyone closed a KBC CC a/c recently - what's the procedure? Did you get a letter from them confirming payment of the government charge?

EDIT: asked KBC on Twitter, here's the response...
To close your credit card we require a signed instruction posted into us to the address quoted below [*no address actually given, but presumably their head office*] or a scanned copy of the signed instruction returned to [email protected] for review and processing. Please ensure your account will be at a zero balance upon closure (i.e. if there are funds in the account, we require bank details of where to send these funds upon closure, alternatively if there is a negative balance in the account, this must be covered before we can close the account, please also ensure to note if you may owe fees/charges for the current period.) Alternatively, if you contact our credit card team by phone they can take the request over the phone. You can call the team directly on 1800 93 62 87 or +353 1 634 79 63 if calling from abroad. They can take your closure request over the phone and assist you further with any queries you may have. Once the government stamp duty is paid we can then issue you a letter confirming the same.

Last edited:
Back