Do Irish issued contactless credit cards work on the London Tube?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I have an Oyster Card which is great for trips to London.

I see now that they accept UK issued contactless debit cards and contactless cards from some other countries.

Has anyone used their Irish AIB Visa debit card on the Tube?

If it works, it's the best way to pay as it's quicker and it's cheaper than buying Tube tickets.

Brendan

Irish contactless credit cards work. it's like a leap card, tap on/tap off. My OH was there last weekend and used a credit card to pay for the tube. Very handy, he said! Not sure about debit cards cause he was worried you might be charged per transaction so used a credit card.

Last edited:
Do AIB charge for using visa debit cards in UK, if you decide to use oyster card it cost £5 but you can return the card and get money refunded before you leave London.

Looks like 1.75% cross-border fee for AIB debit & credit cards. BOI state 2% cross-border fee for debit cards and 2.25 for credit cards.

Considering there is a cross border charge by Irish banks, is it cheaper than buying a ticket on the oystercard as well as buying a ticket in the traditional way?

Buying a ticket in the traditional way is out because of the queues.

2% of, say, €20 a day is 40 cents. Well worth it for an occasional visitor to London.

A regular visitor should get a UK debit card.

Brendan

I've used an n26 debit card with no issues and no FX fees on London transport. Takes a bit until the final tally comes through but works in general.

Back