Do I really need an MPV?

Duckie

Hi there,

A bit of background to explain my question... Third child on the way so we'll have 3 under 3. I'm currently driving a megane and while its older than I'd like, I have no complaints and enjoy driving it. Have 2 yr old twins in fwd facing rear seats at the moment.

I've been looking at MPVs with 3 full sized seats with 3 point harnesses and to be honest finding it hard to justify the cost of a new car for what seems compromised boot space and a tiny bit more bench space in the rear seats (my megane has 3 three point seatbealts so no issue there). I intend to put new baby in the front seat while in rear facing seat anyway so will have 2 high back boosters seats and one fwd facing seats in a years time. Obviously have to try this config to see if they fit!

I guess my question is are there any safely regulations that discourage this practice? I'd rather hang onto my megane for the meantime as it doesnt owe me a penny and buy a nice saloon or estate when it reaches the end of its life.

Appreciate any guidance on this!

Thanks, Duckie

No, you don't need one. However, the pain comes when they hit schoolgoing age and are doing afterschool activities with mates. If you have an mpv you can carpool taking turns doing the activities. We do this for swimming and it's great. That said, i'd say you're ok for a couple of years yet!

Thanks Hope4711

This is what I suspected, I'll try the seats later to see if they all fit together... I don't know what made me think 3 full seats were necessary, baby brain most likely :confused:

Cheers, Duckie

Just bought an MPV (Picasso) after having a Mondeo. Best thing I ever did. The saving on my back not having to bend down all the time and i'd nearly have to dislocate my wrists doing up the seat belts. I have 2 high back boosters and a baby seat and it was a huge squeeze in the Mondeo which I reckon is the equivilant size to a Megane. If you have the money go for it.

can you switch off the air bag for the front passenger seat? If not then you shouldn't put the baby there...

Yes, I plan to switch off airbag before placing baby in front (wouldnt dream of it if not possible).

I hear you about the dislocated wrists Crea! I looked at a Picasso yesterday and although I think they look like an up-side-down boat, it was a nice drive and there is good value out there.

Haven't ruled out new motor yet but just wondering if we'd be better spending money on something practical like upgrading the roof insulation, windows etc...

Thanks for your advice all.

Even though I could I never put the baby in the front of the car. I think the back is far safer for them.

Just bought an MPV (Picasso) after having a Mondeo.
The new Mondeo is far bigger than the old one (bigger than the old Scorpio). Did you have this type or the older one?

I don't like driving MPV's, though they are better than 4X4's. A good saloon car or estate is my preference (with 3, soon to be 4, kids).

I have an Avensis and I have 2 booster cushions and a front facing car seat.
All fit fine, but I had to try every booster cushion and car seat on the market to get
a good safe fit.

If you can find seats that fit, go for it, but this may be tricky.

Back