Do I need VHI now that I have medical card?

paddyjnr

Just wondering could I cancel my VHI payments now that we both have medical cards, are we covered for more or less the same stuff??

Would depend on your plan. The medical would not cover you to see a consultant privately for example.

I'm on plan B and have being paying it for the last fifteen years or so but now out of work on illness benefit and it looks like I will be on it for quite a while yet, I could really do without the added expense.. I know they say "health is better than wealth" but in this case I really have neither.

There is much discussion on the insurance forum about the need for Health Insurance at all!

If you are a fit young healthy single male. There is a good argument to be made to have no health insurance at all.

If I can find the links to the discussion Ill post them here.

Be careful the government or a change of circumstances doesnt take the medical card away from you; in which case you won't have cover for pre-existing illnesses until after a 5 year waiting period if you decide to rejoin the VHI at a later date.

Be careful the government or a change of circumstances doesnt take the medical card away from you; in which case you won't have cover for pre-existing illnesses until after a 5 year waiting period if you decide to rejoin the VHI at a later date.
That is really my biggest worry, maybe a re-think is in order!!! Thanks everyone!!!

That is really my biggest worry, maybe a re-think is in order!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Of course the more people paying into the VHI the more probable my premium will be lower also :)

*full disclosure* :p

Back