Do i need to Notify revenue when purchasing etf / shares ?

coolaboola12

Does anyone know for sure if you have to notify revenue if you purchase an ETF ? Some people say you do and others say you just declare when selling or at year 8.

In short, yes

Although if it is purchased through an Irish Investment manager, they are obliged to make returns to Revenue

if you purchased it by buying shares on an exchange, then you are obliged to make a return on Form 11

In short, yes

Although if it is purchased through an Irish Investment manager, they are obliged to make returns to Revenue

if you purchased it by buying shares on an exchange, then you are obliged to make a return on Form 11
What about if people bought normal shares ? Does that have to be declared

Yes, but only in total. There is no need to notify the individual purchases as there is for ETFs

I would expect that most taxpayers who purchase shares are "chargeable" persons

thanks , i read that but its not very clear. I still dont understand if im PAYE , do i need to inform revenue when i purchase ETFs

And is there a definite answer as to can you offset any losses against any gains if just using one single etf but multiple purchases per year

Last edited:
You have two options when calculating the cost used when calculating actual gains and deemed gains - FIFO or average cost

Whichever one you choose the first time you submit the calculation of the gain and tax due, is used for all subsequent filings for that ETF

It is up to you to choose which you use. For tracking gains, I use FIFO as it is simpler to use but then I don't purchase very often

No. But if you have non PAYE income, including dividends, of 5,000 then you'll become a chargeable person.
one last question. Upon selling investment trusts then, if any gain i pay CGT rates. Can i pay that via myaccount or does it have to be ROS

Back