Do I need to make a tax return through Ros?

bearaman

I've made joint tax returns with my wife for the past 7 years through ros.ie. We only have PAYE income and no other income, no rental income, etc.
Do I still need to make a return via ros if my only income is PAYE?
Thanks,
B.

In short, the answer should be no... given your full income was handled through PAYE, I assume there was no tax liability/refund in any of those years?

I did get small refunds/payments in the past. I took unpaid leave so I reckoned it was due to that. I have some CGT to pay but I guess I can do that outside a full tax return on ros?

I've made joint tax returns with my wife for the past 7 years through ros.ie. We only have PAYE income and no other income, no rental income, etc.
Do I still need to make a return via ros if my only income is PAYE?
Thanks,
B.

The question is, do you need to submit a tax return, (wether you do so through Ros or otherwise is a separate issue).

There are two reasons why you might need to submit a tax return.

You need to submit a tax return if you have untaxed income,

or

You need to submit ta return because Revenue have issued you a tax return.

If Revenue have issued you a tax return, you must either complete and return the form, or ask revenue to cancel the form. You cannot just ignore a return if Revenue have issued one. Even if there is no untaxed income.

I don't recall ever getting a request for a tax return, certainly not in writing anyway. If I got a request through ros, where would it be?

You get a form in the post if revenue want to get you to fill it in so nothing to worry about.

Back