Do I need planning permission for driveway?

paulpd

Hello,

Just got a terraced house and most of them have driveways. Do you need planning permission to knock out the wall?? And if so, does the planning process take long?

Thanks!

Hi Pauld, I just put up a post looking for a builder to take down our boundary wall for a driveway. You need planning permission alright. The process took a few months. Its a lot for such a small job. But if you are making any changes to your boundary you need planning permission. If you want more details let me know.

Thanks a lot. Although I won't be changing boundaries......literally knocking out the front wall. I need to get a bit of work done in the house and so for the moment it'd be handy for skip etc but long term I'd gravel or slab it.

You need planning permission to put vehicular access in where it previously didnt exist. If the other houses on your street have it, then you shouldnt have any problems obtaining it. You will also need permission to alter the footpath - angling it so that a car can drive over it into your driveway. Some Councils e.g. Dublin City, will insist that they do the work and that you recoup them the cost - this is for H&S reasons as the council can be sued if the footpath is done badly and people trip etc.

Yup! You need Council permission. You will be putting your drive-up across Council/public land. You need to be very careful about surface and changes in level as public health and safety are an issue.

Back