Do I need Architec drawings

thombom

Hi All,

I am looking to do a small extension and some internal work in my house. I am a bit unsure whether I need drawings done for the extension part or can a builder just work away and do the job. Hope someone can help.

Cheers guys.

Does it need planning? if so you'll need drawings for that - whilst not as detailed as technical construction drawings your own hand drawn ones wouldn't suffice

other thing to consider is building regulations and whether compliance sign off will be needed

a building surveyor or engineer might be able to do the drawings cheaper than an architect - if you don't need a design service this might be the way to go

unless you trust your builder 100% i'd recommend somebody independent doing some drawings

other thing to consider is building regulations and whether compliance sign off will be needed

It will be if the OP ever wants to sell the house.

OP, drawings will also serve to protect you in ensuring that your understanding of what is to be built corresponds with the builder's understanding. There have been lots of threads here over the years of when things go wrong and without clear drawings and a solid contract, it ends up as the builder's word versus yours.

I'd always get an architect involved as soon as you are building or moving walls, it is in my opinion money well spent. Architects usually know what works best in terms of room layouts, etc., and might help you to optimise the space you have. A first consultation with an architect is usually free, and getting to a first set of drawings (be it for planning purposes, or just to have something to agree upon with the builder) is money well spent and usually cheaper than people might think.

"usually cheaper than people might think"
I'm not too sure about the above statement, it usually works out at 10% of building costs + vat. Also, I'm not sure if the Architects drawings would include all the detail that an engineers drawings would, eg, steel specs, etc.

"usually cheaper than people might think"
I'm not too sure about the above statement, it usually works out at 10% of building costs + vat. Also, I'm not sure if the Architects drawings would include all the detail that an engineers drawings would, eg, steel specs, etc.

An architect that charges a percentage of buildings costs should not be hired IMO for residential stuff. It is none of the Architect's business if I decide to get tiles costing 20 euro or 500 euro per sqm. I paid under 6000 Euro for the architect, with a project budget that was about 170K.
That included design, planing drawings and submission, tender drawing, construction drawings, site visits during construction, and sign off paperwork.
would have been around 2500 for planning stage, another 1500 or so for tender, and the rest for construction and site visits.
that was for an extension an refurbishment of a mid terrace house.

Back