Do I need an Architect?

Magicpony

I live in a terraced house, with the kitchen to the front and a big lounge running the width of the house at the back.
I would like to move my kitchen to the back room and then extend 40sqm, to make the new 'kitchen' a kitchen/family room. I envisage the extension to have a lot of glass and velux windows in the roof. I have no idea of costs, builders etc. Can anyone offer advise as to whether I need an architech or a just a good builder?

Depends on how special a job you want done.

I'd be a little worried about having no design input at all, no matter what level of finish you want.

Dermot Bannon from RTE's Room to Improve was on 2fm this morning talking about home improvements, extensions, etc. He recommended that anyone thinking of extending consult with an architect from the institute

You can get an architect to do plans without getting them to supervise the job which is the really expensive bit

Its well worth putting some money into good design ,also if you have no plans ,you need a really good builder to work with

Many thanks for suggestions - will get onto architecture Ireland. Does anyone have an idea of costs involved in hiring an architect on this type of build?

I used an architect recommended on this site.

I am paying 6000 (incl VAT at 21%)

For Intial Design, Multiple Proposals, Detailed Design Drawings and Panning permission for widening of driveway.

The project involved significant internal renovation/reformatting of layout and extension

Dermot Bannon is not a great advertisement for architects! His designs and fighting with clients leave a lot to be desired.

Having been stung by a member of said profession - a few tips :

1. Get a quote for everything (including repeat planning applications). Watch out for "minor cost for that..I will come back to you" type responses.

2. Ask for a written record of discussions with council officials (pre planning meetings) if they have promised to do this as part of the fee.

3. Ask to see evidence of their success rate with planning authorities and the types of buildings that they have been successful with (no point having them if 90% of work is warehouses).

4. Make sure they are qualified (anyone can set themselves up as an architect - there is no statutory protection).

5. See previous work that they have done (if in the area). If poss have a chat with the clients.

6. Watch out for the "artistic" types who want to put an atrium in the middle of your hall or believe their work is valuable and not open to question or input from you. You should provide 90% of the ideas. Let them do the work.

There are good ones out there I believe.

Just because they're not qualified doesn't mean they won't do a good job, and vice versa. The important thing is to look at previous work and talk to previous clients

Just because they're not qualified doesn't mean they won't do a good job, and vice versa. The important thing is to look at previous work and talk to previous clients

I guess your an Architect;) but your very right in what you say, its the same in most professions.

Jaid

If they're not qualified, then they're not an Architect.

Be wary of people who do nixers, they'll refuse to get involved in site works due to their real job getting in the way.

Ask to see their P.I. Insurance

Back