Do I have the right to use a business' toilet?..

billythefish

Hi all

I was driving across the country last weekend and got quite cross-legged in Tullamore. I stopped into a bakery and sheepishly asked if I could use their toilet. I was amazed at being told no and I should go some hotel down the road. Granted, there were no public toilets there but I was left wondering where this person's humanity was...

It got me wondering, I'm sure I heard at some stage that if someone asks to use your toilet, you're obliged to allow them. Is that right?..

Last edited:
What if it wasn't a bakery, but a private house? Where does one draw the line between public and private?

how could one think they can walk into somewhere with a toilet and just expect to use it????.

"how could one think they can walk into somewhere with a toilet and just expect to use it????. "

Possibly because it is a far better option than having someone doing it on the floor. :eek:

The penny is round as they say OP.

how could one think they can walk into somewhere with a toilet and just expect to use it????.

I think in fairness this view is maybe as a result of some sort of urban myth - I remember being solemnly informed many years ago (from more than one barstool expert) that it was against the law to refuse anyone the use of your facilities or a glass of water.

The same person probably went on to tell me that he knew "for a fact" that it was a single aspirin that killed Bruce Lee because "His body see? was sooo pure, so fit that it was like poison. Just killed him. Stone dead."

Businesses have to pay water rates so that's a possible reason why they said no! Did you buy any thing in the shop if you did I'm sure they would have let you. Business call it "passing Trade"

Jellyjellly

Businesses have to pay water rates so that's a possible reason why they said no! Did you buy any thing in the shop if you did I'm sure they would have let you. Business call it "passing Trade"

Jellyjellly

It would say insurance is more of an issue.

Also security. What if you worked there, how would you feel about random people coming in off the street? How secure would your belongings be in the "staff cloak room" which is probably beside the toilets?

If you were a disabled person you might be able to invoke equality legislation reasonable accommodation for disabled?

I think in fairness this view is maybe as a result of some sort of urban myth - I remember being solemnly informed many years ago (from more than one barstool expert) that it was against the law to refuse anyone the use of your facilities or a glass of water.

The same person probably went on to tell me that he knew "for a fact" that it was a single aspirin that killed Bruce Lee because "His body see? was sooo pure, so fit that it was like poison. Just killed him. Stone dead."
I know a guy like that. Stories he tells ....

Only if they had a toilet for other customers.
Not necessarily - Equality does not necessarily mean 'equal treatment'. The principle of reasonable accommodation from equality legislation shows that it may be necessary to treat people differently to ensure they have equal access to services etc.

No not entitled.

Working in retail we would rarely leave customers use ours mainly down to the state some left it in. If they bought we would consider it but would never let someone who just came in off the street and asked use it.

Back