Do current acc's help mortgage approval?

kamakaze J

I've done my main banking with AIB for years while typically putting large savings into fixed term acc's in banks wherever the best yearly rates are.

In the next year or two I will most likely be getting a mortgage so I've decided to put the fixed term savings which mature next month into an instant acc account.
Permanent TSB appear to offer the best mortgage rates to first time buyers and also have a fairly decent instant acc rate (2.25% from Aug); so I've decided to open a current acc with them in the hope that the fact I'm already with them will be of benefit when going for mortgage approval.

Now my wages are paid into AIB and rent and utilities come out of that so the logical thing would be to move all these to PTSB and close the AIB one.
However considering I'll be going for a mortgage in the near future, and the missus banks with AIB too, should I keep this open for the time being until I see which one will give us the best rate?

Also slightly off topic; I previously used a code card when transferring money from AIB to external accounts but they changed these to card readers so I ordered one of these the other day thinking I'd transfer money back and forth between the two banks.
If I close the AIB account will this be any use to my missus or are each one set up to work with only a individual card number?

Also slightly off topic; I previously used a code card when transferring money from AIB to external accounts but they changed these to card readers so I ordered one of these the other day thinking I'd transfer money back and forth between the two banks.
If I close the AIB account will this be any use to my missus or are each one set up to work with only a individual card number?

On this part, the card readers are not unique to AIB customers, they can be used by other customers so if you moved, your other half could use the reader (and would presumably have two then).

Last edited:
Thanks that answers that; she hasn't actually ordered her free one but at least if I do move I can give that to her or someone else.

Back