Do circulars for civil service apply for local authority?

sandrat

If a circular issued by the department of finance mentions civil servants does that mean that it applies for all public service staff (e.g. local authority) or just to civil servants?

Local Authorities come under the aegis of Dept of Environment so yes I would think so. Similarly HSE comes under Depart of Health and the finance circulars apply there to.

In general, the Department of Finance is careful in drafting circulars, so if it says "civil servants" it means "civil servants". But the chances are that a parallel circular might issue to cover local authority staff if it is appropriate (e.g. regulations and rates for paying expenses).

Tell us more. Is there a problem?

I suggest you don't as it would take the thread off topic. Open a new thread if you wish to pose a supplementary question.

The question here is: "Do circulars for civil service apply for local authority?"

aj

no problem just wondering if it applies before I ask but couldn't find anything that tells me if local authorities are included. My mother is HSE employee and it applies there not sure if local authority would also come under it

I take it you are referring to Circular 31/06 ( http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/circulars/circ312006.pdf ). That seems to be addressed specifically to Departments. I don't think one little "etc." can be read as extending its application to local authorities, but I might be wrong.

I can find nothing that relates to local authorities, the HSE, and other bodies.

Isn't the department of environment heritage and local government a department?

Any public service trade union (impact) will have the answer to this.

I imagine that the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government issues its own circulars to the Local Authorities. These circulars deal with all manner of Public Admininstration Policy.

You could also try IPA the institute of Public Admininstration.

Since your question seems to relate to a HR issue you could simply ask the HR department of the LA in question.

I have done a search on the local government circulars database that I have access to through work and nothing comes up but also it would appear there are no circulars relating to maternity leave either. HR aren't the most helpful so I was hoping to have confirmation before approaching them about the matter. I might give one of the unions a ring tomorrow though I am not a member so they might not deal with me.

contacted HR and they never had anyone request this before so have no policy on it but don't think it applies so they are just going with the legislation

Back