Do Aldi / Lidl accept Visa Debit (rather than Laser)?

we were in our local lidl and the chap on the checkout said cash or laser , i told him laser was finished and he said "yes i know." i get the impression its like some people refer to a vacum cleaner as a hoover no matter what make it is. its probably because the majority of customers in aldi/lidl have used laser since both of these supermarkets came here. incidentally lidl in spain take credit cards .

On Saturday, the cashier in my local Lidl rejected the Mastercard offered by the customer in front of me as '..we don't take Mastercard'. The customer pointed out that it was a debit card and all was well. Cashier was'nt best pleased though!

No. You have to be forceful when you are in the right.

Staff in these shops are programmed by head office and will not deviate from the party line.

Staff in these shops are programmed by head office and will not deviate from the party line.

I'm not sure I fully agree. Staff at the checkouts are usually very busy and I'm always amazed at how quick they "beep" the goods through. Staff on the floor (and to be fair they aren't there to help people per se, rather they are re-stocking etc) are always helpful to me when I have to ask for help with something. Having said that, different supermarkets seem to operate at different levels of service given their price points (just like hotels, airlines, car rentals, clothes shops or anything else where businesses can operate freely). People need to satisfied with little or no help at Aldi/Lidl & carry their goods to the car themselves (usually in cardboard boxes). For this they pay a price. Meanwhile, across the road in SuperQuinn, there's alot more help at hand and you can even have your goods brought to your car for you. People wanting this service pay a different price. In summary, the adage "you get what you pay for" seems to apply.

Back