DIY Will

OrangeLavender

I know that the ideal solution would be to go to a solicitor and know that there are services for a DIY will but if someone's estate is very uncomplicated e.g. below, would a will that they draw up themselves with all of the required legal wording be ok because there isn't much to go wrong?

Maybe I'm just being optimistic! I would appreciate any thoughts.

Single person, never married, no children
Assets- house with no mortgage, few thousand in cash (hopefully more by the time I pop my clogs whenever that will be) and a car.
Want to leave everything to only surviving parent and if they are dead, to only sibling, if they are deceased too then split evenly between sibling's children.

If you die without a will, the the rules on intestacy are applied
1. You have no spouse or children, and have a surviving parent, the the parent inherits everything
2. If your parent is deceased, your sibling inherits everything
3 If your sibling is deceased, then the nieces and nephews share equally

That seems to be what you want - so no will is necessary but ...

If you do write your own will, make sure that that you have two witnesses who witness your signature. They don't have to read the document, they are only witnessing your signature.

You might have some special heirloom, jewellery or a collectable or something that one of your nieces/nephews/friends would appreciate and if would make sense to note that in the Will, lest it be lost in the residue. If you're female you probably have jewellery and might want a niece to inherit.

Back