DIY Probate

Thirsty

Does anyone know if there is a good book/guide to DIY Probate in Ireland?

It doesn't seem too hard to do, but a book would be handy along with some template letters etc.,

A book on Probate was mentioned on Sean O Rourke's programme this morning but I didn't get the name or author, Try the pod-cast

Good lead, thank you. Found the book, it's called The Probate Handbook, retailing around £30 (sterling) on Amazon.

The only thing is it seems to be aimed at the legal profession, rather than a DIY approach; has anyone used it before I splash out dosh on it?

Good lead, thank you. Found the book, it's called The Probate Handbook, retailing around £30 (sterling) on Amazon.

The only thing is it seems to be aimed at the legal profession, rather than a DIY approach; has anyone used it before I splash out dosh on it?

That is probably for the UK probate system.

I don't believe you need a book at all, it's not complicated, and the probate office will help you. The only reason it would be complicated is if there are a lot of assets and there is anything unusual in the will. I'm assuming a couple of bank accounts and a house, then there should be no problem with a DIY. If you fill out the forms incorrectly you'll just have to correct them, it's largely a paper filling exercise. The most complicated document is the revenue form. CA 26 I think it's called.

I don't believe you need a book at all, it's not complicated, and the probate office will help you. The only reason it would be complicated is if there are a lot of assets and there is anything unusual in the will. I'm assuming a couple of bank accounts and a house, then there should be no problem with a DIY. If you fill out the forms incorrectly you'll just have to correct them, it's largely a paper filling exercise. The most complicated document is the revenue form. CA 26 I think it's called.

Agree with Bronte I got the forms and it wasnt to hard to complete, a lot of great advice on here from queries i had. Get the forms as they will give you a good idea of what is needed.

Back