diy investment?

• Thread starter patrickolee
  • Start date
P

patrickolee

Hi,

Might be a silly question, apologies if it is. Have a little cash, SSIA and a terribly performing AIB PEP, which I want to close down. Thinking of investing, looking at eagle star, hibernian, etc and looking at their fees and projections. Looks like the return wouldn't be great even by their documentation given their fees. In fact pretty much the same as my AIB pep, in which I invested 19000 over the past 8 years and is now worth around 21000

In contrast 4 years ago I opened up a goodbody account and threw in 10000 euro and just bought what I thought were low risk companys, boi, ryanair, bskyb (was probably wrong about that last one, doh). That 10000 is now worth 14800, even with the recent 'crash'. Question is would you be mad to open up an investment scheme or am I missing an obvious extra risk that I'm exposing myself to? Has my 10000 just been lucky? The Pep has shown me that I'm fairly exposed to the ups and downs of the stock market anyway, am I not better off just buying a bucket of big company stocks and leaving them.

Thinking of investing over at least 10 years.

Thanks

looking at their fees and projections. Looks like the return wouldn't be great even by their documentation given their fees.
Note that the projections just use assumed growth rates that have nothing to do with what will actually happen since this is unknown. However such projections are useful for comparing the eroding effects of charges on performance for different funds.

Back