DIY Home Insulation

Mel

What are the most efficient things I can DIY to keep my house warm this winter?
Upstairs is toasty, probably due to insulation in the attic, and last year i added foam strip to the attic door. We are a terraced house therefore not overly exposed.
Downstairs is freezing - draughty front and back doors, gale through the letter box, single glazed windows, open fireplace, radiators that heat barely or not at all. Draughts all through the downstairs.
The boiler is acting up, it often doesn't light the pilot until I reset it, but even getting that serviced will be a stretch, things are that tight.
I'm reasonably competent at very minor diy stuff, adding foam strips to doors etc, but not really plumbing and so on.
I actually dread going home some cold evenings..

First, bleed all your rads to ensure there is no air which impacts performance. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you might need to get your system serviced by a competent professional. There may be sludge build up or any of a number of other potential issues present.

Then eliminate all draughts. Any builders providers or DIY shop will sell inexpensive self-adhesive strips for sealing windows, doors, and letter boxes.
Leo

Back