diy avc/prsa

bungaro

thinking about starting up an avc or prsa (are they more or less the same?!) but heard some of them have high yearly fees so am wondering if there are any places where you can set it up yourself?? am 33 and am teaching 5 years now so looking to get this sorted before we start a family, have an nsp already going so thinking this might be the best thing to do now?? if there are any avcs or prsas people would recommend then i'd love to hear names so i can research then, don't want to go with cornmarket though, found them very unhelpful anytime they came into our school.
thanks

I think LA brokers was mentioned on this site before. Have had no dealing with them myself. Do a search and it should come up.

I would second www.labrokers.ie as a place where you can get excellent deals. There's also a thread on Askaboutmoney.com with details of other Discount Brokers.

Be aware that LABrokers and some of the others offer only an execution-only service - no advice. So you need to know what AVC PRSA provider you want, what fund(s) you want, what level of contribution is appropriate for you etc.

You need to take into account your existing NSP in arriving at what the most suitable (permissible) level of contribution for you is - you need to ensure that your overall contribution doesn't exceed your age-related limits for tax relief, but also ensure that your total funding doesn't exceed Revenue limits on maximum pensions.

It's actually quote a complicated area and, while it's possible to DIY using an execution-only broker, your post suggests that it's not a subject you know a huge amount about. You might be better off going to a broker that offers advice - you'll pay for the advice but it could stop you making a costly mistake by DIY.

Back