Divorce :Ex Repeatedly Refusing To Co-operate

If there is refusal to Co-operate and you are before the courts then your solicitor can appeal to the judge to apply sanctions to the party who is not cooperating. The issue is the timeline. The courts and judge/registrar will give every opportunity to someone to comply because they don’t want to apply sanctions too hastily. All you can do is urge your solicitor to push for quicker resolution during the court hearings.

Has your solicitor explained the next steps that can be taken. He would be best placed to advise you as he knows all the details.

. . . and while all this and more are going on your solicitor's fees grow like wildfire.

Last edited:
No regrets coyote explains the situation very accurately. All issues including succession rights dealt with. People increasingly don't know what JS is and say why are you not divorced? I don't want to be married to this person and I should have the right like everyone else to get married if I want to in the future. Anyway, back to my post. What does the case progression system do where someone simply won't co-operate repeatedly for no go reason other than control?

Your solicitor should be answering this question.
This type of response bugs me. Its not helpful and not in the spirit of AAM. Its antagonistic.

Sure for most questions posed one could respond with - your financial advisor shoukd be answering this, what does your pension advisor say, your mortgage advisor, your bank, your accountant, your whatever.

This type of response bugs me. Its not helpful and not in the spirit of AAM. Its antagonistic.

Sure for most questions posed one could respond with - your financial advisor shoukd be answering this, what does your pension advisor say, your mortgage advisor, your bank, your accountant, your whatever.
I'm no great defender of other posters, but ClubMan is right.

1. When the laws concerning divorce were being drawn up we were informed that the process would be simple, easy and dynamic. The process has failed on all three. Very few gain in divorce, but the legal people always gain and it's in their interests to draw the subject out for as long as possible.

2. Nobody thinks of the parties involved. There are emotional difficulties (for one at least).

3. Financial issues just grow and grow.

4. Perhaps I'm approaching my dotage, but I can see a day when nobody will get married in Ireland if the divorce proceedings remain as is.

5. The big problem here is one party is refusing to engage in the process. The other has to complete the same legal forms for every hearing and is engaging. But, she is engaging with the solicitor only. Likely, there is much more at play in this case (and it's none of our business) but once again the OP is left in an expensive state of limbo.

Last edited:
My solicitor is saying there is nothing I can do. I'm looking for a second opinion here. I haven't got €300-€400 hour+ VAT for a second legal opinion. Hence posting here.

My question is can the court registrar move this straight to a divorce hearing if they want , or can my solicitor apply to the court to seek a divorce hearing, again bypassing case progression?. what are the mechanisms that the legal system has to resolve a case stuck in indefinite case progression?

I'm no great defender of other posters, but ClubMan is right.

1. When the laws concerning divorce were being drawn up we were informed that the process would be simple, easy and dynamic. The process has failed on all three. Very few gain in divorce, but the legal people always gain and it's in their interests to draw the subject out for as long as possible.

2. Nobody thinks of the parties involved. There are emotional difficulties (for one at least).

3. Financial issues just grow and grow.

4. Perhaps I'm approaching my dotage, but I can see a day when nobody will get married in Ireland if the divorce proceedings remain as is.

5. The big problem here is one party is refusing to engage in the process. The other has to complete the same legal forms for every hearing and is engaging. But, she is engaging with the solicitor only. Likely, there is much more at play in this case (and it's none of our business) but once again the OP is left in an expensive state of limbo.
The one point that all those who divorce should remember is ‘Where the children go. The money follows’.

solicitor is saying there is nothing I can do.
Nothing you can do about what? You can't be refused a divorce in Ireland. Unlike the UK system.

Matters might be dragging on, but they will eventually be resolved.

However if you are looking to reopen settlement matters, that will certainly cause delays.

process would be simple
Compared to the UK system, where you must have 'grounds' for divorce; ours is relatively simple.

The only two requirements are that you must be legally married and you must be living apart for two years.

Where the complexity comes in is in regards to children & property - and *none* of that previous legislation was changed when divorce became a legal entitlement.

Last edited:
If there's no settlement issues you can DIY divorce; it doesn't matter how long the other party drags eventually you will get your ruling.

Unlike the UK system, the other party cannot refuse to be divorced. Update: I'm told they finally updated their legislation 8 or 9 months ago - likely in direct response to this case.

Nothing in our legal system goes fast.

Last edited:
. . . and while all this and more are going on your solicitor's fees grow like wildfire.
Not if nothing is happening. The file just sits there and no fees accumulate but the solicitor doesn't get paid for the work already done.
I'm looking for a second opinion here. I haven't got €300-€400 hour+ VAT for a second legal opinion.
It seems that you have an expensive solicitor. Mine charged a lot less than that and she did an excellent job all things considered.

The one point that all those who divorce should remember is ‘Where the children go. The money follows’.
Not necessarily. In my case my Ex got more than me even though the children are mostly with me.

@dublinwoman72, your solicitor really is the one who should be answering these questions. They are the only one who can answer them. They should know who the Court Registrars are and which one they should be dealing with. They know the details of your case and how to progress it.

Some solicitors are better than others, sometimes the relationship between solicitor and client doesn't quite work. You can only control the things that are within your power to control so my suggestion is to apply more pressure to your solicitor and get them to explain to your satisfaction why "nothing can be done".

Is it possible for your solicitor to say to the court registrar, can we move on from case progression to the next step as waiting for the other party to produce documents, is not working and we are years into the process and need to wind this up

Back