Divorce Application & Case Progression Process

stillorganman

I have been judicially separated in 2015, and have being trying to get my wife to engage in divorce proceedings now for 2-3 years. She has now finally entered a defense & counterclaim, and my solicitor is now applying for a case progression hearing in the Dublin Circuit Family Court. Only very scant & incomplete financial details have been provided in her Affidavit of Means. Her Affidavit of Welfare she is making exaggerated claims about the health of one of our children. He has mental health issues, is under the outpatient care of the public adult mental health services, sees a different junior doctor each time, is aged 19, and is about to sit his Leaving Cert. He is very stressed about the Leaving Cert, and it is not clear if he will sit the Leaving / end up sitting it in the future / sit & progress to third level education / drop out of education. The condition he has is significant but not incompatible with work / independent living etc etc. Whilst he has intermittent significant health issues, he is being incorrectly portrayed as permanently medically disabled / dependent requiring lifelong adult supervision, necessitating my wife to work part-time indefinitely into the future.

I'm just wondering how this lack of proper financials & a disputed/ unclear medical condition in a young adult works in terms of Case Progression hearings. Can you end up going through several case progression hearings / are they months apart / are they likely to look for a medical report & from whom?

Also, once you are in the case progression process, is there automatic progression to a divorce hearing, or can the applicant withdraw altogether/ pause the divorce application for a period of time?

Thank you in advance for any help at this v stressful time.

Sorry for your trouble.

The quickest way to a conclusion is for you both to agree terms. Is there any possibility of you both sitting down together informally or in mediation?

Thank you I'm afraid all mediation has fallen apart in the past
All you can do it just keep things moving.
It took me 9 years to get divorced because I kept stopping things due to the impact it was having on the children. As with all relationships the person who cares the least has all the power. Try to keep as calm as possible, take the advice of your solicitor and carry on. There's no easy fix and things certainly aren't going to move that much this side of the leaving cert. The most important thing is to provide as much stability as possible for your children when they are with you and make sure you are part of the discussion and decision making around your sons care.

Back