Dividends on Form 12

huskerdu

Hi,
I own shares in a company based in Europe ( ).

I received a dividend in 2018.
The gross dividend was €1048 and I received €731, which means there was 30% withholding tax ( I think this is a combination of Dutch and irish withholding tax).

I know I have to declare this and pay full PAYE/PRSI/USC.

I assume that I will get credit for the tax already paid.

Its not clear to me how to enter this in my form 12

There is only a choice of Irish / UK/ US / Canadian dividends. The questions asked for each of these are different which makes sense, as the withholding tax is probably different. My dividend does not fall into any of these categories

Does anyone know how I enter my dividend to ensure I get credit for the withholding tax I have already paid ?

Thanks,

There should be another column called other foreign dividends - you enter the gross amount and they give you a tax credit

Thnk you. I found the correct section under the Foreign income section, not Dividends .

Regards.

Remember, you can only claim credit for the withholding tax that's agreed in the double taxation treaty - this is normally 15%

The balance of the withholding tax deducted has to be reclaimed from the foreign tax authority - the Dutch in this case. You usually find a form on their website to reclaim the tax.

SO Gross dividend 1048
Allowed for Irish double tax credit 1048 x 15% = 157.20
to be reclaimed from Dutch 317- 157.20 = 159.80

Back