Dividend Taxes French Stock Exchange Shares

IrishHusk

Hi

I am looking for some advice on what tax do I pay and any tax I can claim back for dividends on shares which are listed on the French Stock Exchange. See below taxes which were deducted. Source tax seems to be 25%. I am not sure what the Irish Encashment Tax is at 25% also. Appreciate any guidance on what these taxes are and if I owe any more tax.

1656678994438.png

Hi

I am looking for some advice on what tax do I pay and any tax I can claim back for dividends on shares which are listed on the French Stock Exchange. See below taxes which were deducted. Source tax seems to be 25%. I am not sure what the Irish Encashment Tax is at 25% also. Appreciate any guidance on what these taxes are and if I owe any more tax.

View attachment 6357
When you do your tax return you can enter the deductions above and they will be credited to the tax liability that is due on the dividend, which also attracts USC and Prsi.

Any further liability will depend on your tax rate, ie 20% or 40%

When you do your tax return you can enter the deductions above and they will be credited to the tax liability that is due on the dividend, which also attracts USC and Prsi.

Any further liability will depend on your tax rate, ie 20% or 40%
Can this all be done via myAccount on revenue.ie

The French tax due is 12.8% for non-residents. No further tax is due to the French Revenue. Tax is due to the Irish Revenue but you get credit for the 12.8% deducted by the French.

It looks like you are using a broker who deducts the full 25% - you can claim the refundable over-deduction 12.2% (= 25 -12.8) back from the French Revenue =€ 263.24.

When you fill in your Irish tax return, you state the gross dividend € 2,157.76 and the non-refundable French tax part of € 276.19

The Revenue will calculate the tax, PRSI and USC due and give you credit for the non-refundable French tax and Irish Encashment tax

The broker is too lazy to do the calculations and withhold the correct amount

The French tax due is 12.8% for non-residents. No further tax is due to the French Revenue. Tax is due to the Irish Revenue but you get credit for the 12.8% deducted by the French.

It looks like you are using a broker who deducts the full 25% - you can claim the refundable over-deduction 12.2% (= 25 -12.8) back from the French Revenue =€ 263.24.

When you fill in your Irish tax return, you state the gross dividend € 2,157.76 and the non-refundable French tax part of € 276.19

The Revenue will calculate the tax, PRSI and USC due and give you credit for the non-refundable French tax and Irish Encashment tax

The broker is too lazy to do the calculations and withhold the correct amount
The broker is computershare or equeateplus as they are now known. So difficult/confusing to get examples on how to file tax on this sort of income. Shares are from the company I work for so all new to me. Thanks for advice.

The broker is computershare or equeateplus as they are now known. So difficult/confusing to get examples on how to file tax on this sort of income. Shares are from the company I work for so all new to me. Thanks for advice.
We use them and they are always correct in deducting in country taxes, ours are US and with a valid certificate its 15% , I don't know if France has a similar requirement.

If we didn't have a valid W-Ben8 wed be taxed at double that....perhaps you should look into this.

Either way taxes and encashment tax are all deductible against the overall liability.

You should also be able to see the details on your equate account under documents I think

Last edited:
Refundable taxes ( € 263.24 in this case) are not deductible for the purpose of calculating your Irish tax

Hi

A follow up to my original post. Which option do I select on myAccount when adding this dividend income to my tax return. I see options for Canadian, UK and US dividends but where do I add French dividends. Is it Dividends and distributions?

1667561779449.png

Good question - I file using Form 11 so I am not acquainte with the MyAccount categories

What options are there under Dividends & Distributions?

Good question - I file using Form 11 so I am not acquainte with the MyAccount categories

What options are there under Dividends & Distributions?
Hi

This is all I see under Dividend and Distribution's. It refers to Irish resident companies so doubt it is the correct field to use.
1670591245231.png

I had a look at From 12 and it is has a field for other dividends. Maybe I have to fill out form 12 but they advise to use the online as opposed to using the form.
1670591174810.png

I would ask Revenue using MyEnquires

It looks like there is nowhere on MyAccount to enter dividends other that Irish, UK, Canadian or US ones :rolleyes:

Oddly it's not under the Dividends section. It's under the Foreign Income section under
Foreign non-Deposit Interest/Annuities/Royalties/Dividends

Oddly it's not under the Dividends section. It's under the Foreign Income section under
Foreign non-Deposit Interest/Annuities/Royalties/Dividends
I cant see this option on myAccount. All I see are these options. Where is the foreign income section?
1672831859368.png

I would ask Revenue using MyEnquires

It looks like there is nowhere on MyAccount to enter dividends other that Irish, UK, Canadian or US ones :rolleyes:
I asked the question via myEnquiries on December 12th but response as of yet. Very difficult to give these people money :mad:

I cant see this option on myAccount. All I see are these options. Where is the foreign income section?View attachment 7060

Looks like you are not in a tax return at all. You are in the Manage Your Tax 2023 which is for adding some non PAYE incomes and claiming some additional tax credits/reliefs in real time to the active tax year 2023.
You want to file a tax return via review your tax 2019 to 2022. Did you not watch the videos showing you how to file a tax return?

The link below shows how to file a tax return via Revenue MyAccount.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/end-of-year-process/index.aspx

Looks like you are not in a tax return at all. You are in the Manage Your Tax 2023 which is for adding some non PAYE incomes and claiming some additional tax credits/reliefs in real time to the active tax year 2023.
You want to file a tax return via review your tax 2019 to 2022. Did you not watch the videos showing you how to file a tax return?

The link below shows how to file a tax return via Revenue MyAccount.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/end-of-year-process/index.aspx
Yes that is what I was trying to do for last year so that is why I could not see it. I see the option to file the tax return for 2022 so that makes sense to complete it for the year in which the dividend was paid Thanks for your help.

Back