Disqualification period of JB after receiving lump sum

DaveyWavey

Can anybody help clear up my confusion please. I received a redundancy payment of more than €90k and a disqualification period of 9 weeks applies to my JB payment. Does this mean I lose 9 weeks entirely or will I get the 9 weeks back payment when my claim is processed. Thanks in advance.

You are disqualified from payment for the duration and won't get back money for those weeks.

Thanks Gipimann. So instead of getting 52 weeks payment I can only receive a maximum of 43 weeks?

Thanks Gipimann. So instead of getting 52 weeks payment I can only receive a maximum of 43 weeks?

I wonder if it would make sense to only apply for unemployment benefit after the 9 weeks have elapsed, would that give you the entitlement to the full 52 weeks or how do they apply this rule?

I wonder if it would make sense to only apply for unemployment benefit after the 9 weeks have elapsed, would that give you the entitlement to the full 52 weeks or how do they apply this rule?

You would lose credited contributions for the 9 weeks and it would not 'add on' 9 weeks at the end.

Out of complete curiosity, why are the 9 weeks deducted? Is it because of the high value of the payout?

Yes, there's a scale of disqualification ranging from 0 to 9 weeks depending on the amount of redundancy received.

Back